Mavic Aksium and the S?

yadnom1973
yadnom1973 Posts: 45
edited August 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi I have to get a new pair of wheel and there seems to be a general opinion that these are the wheels that I should go for as I want sealed bearings. I have spent too much of my life trying to order cones and ending up with ones that don't fit or are discontinued and having to throw away perfectly good wheels for the sake of a £1.70 component.
With the Mavic Aksium the first thing I noticed was this huge price difference £190/£130 and noticed some has an S and some did not. I understood in the end that this is the 2013/2014 model of wheel but dose anyone know what the real life difference is or where I could find out?
The other thing a few people mentioned was that the 2013 wheel are very noisy but I can not find anywhere if this is true of the 2014/S model or if this has been changed?

Comments

• dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    S means that the wheel set comes with tyres and tubes. The tyres that come with the s are not very good so if you can get the non s a lot cheaper I would buy those. The discounted aksium's I have seen for 130 are white while the black ones are more expensive.
  • seriously, I thought that it was an S for 2014! Thanks for the heads up, I don't need the tyres or tubes just the wheels. I guess there is little difference between the 2013/2014 models then as I've not managed to find anything on the subject on line. Black or white makes little difference to me also, if it's just a cosmetic thing.
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    The update happened in the 2013 model year. Aside from graphics the 13/14 are the same.