Lumpy Tubby

bernithebiker
bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
edited August 2014 in Road buying advice
I've just noticed that my front tub, a Mavic Griplink 23mm has a lump in it.

You can't see it with the naked eye, but you can feel it if you spin the wheel and trail your finger over the top of the tyre.

You can't feel it out on the road unless you're on a very smooth road, and then you can feel the bump-bump every rev.

Anyone have any idea how it got there?

Anyone have any idea how to get rid of it?

The tyre isn't that old - done about 4000km in 3 to 4 months and tread is still fine, so reluctant to change it.

Comments

• team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Maybe a small section of the base tape has come away from the tyre allowing the tyre to lift slightly.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Do you tape or glue? Tape can make a tyre feel bumpy especially near the valve.

As mentioned. You might be best taking it off the rim and examining the underside of the tyres fabric layer
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    I use glue.

I can't see any sign of the tyre lifting from the wheel - it's near the valve but not above it.

I'm wondering if the inner tube may have 'blistered' to create a slight bulge in the tyre.

I may just use it until it punctures, as it's not that bad.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Often the valve doesn't seat fully into the rim, leaving a slight hop in the tyre - typically you don't notice when riding unless you inflate to the max, which kinda defeats the point of tubs anyway.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..