Planet X Bikes - to buy or not to buy??

wrightyman73
wrightyman73 Posts: 131
edited August 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi
I'm hoping someone can help me decide on the Planet X range of bikes, been into road biking for a couple of years now and just sold my Specialized Allez Sport. I want to make the step up to a full Carbon, Been down the local Spesh concept store and looked at a Tarmac 2015 & Roubaix 2014 both with 105 Groupset.......but I''ve been drooling over the Planet X Pro Carbon Shimano Ultegra 6800' at 1200 quid it just seems to good to be true...can someone shed some light on this as I've been pulling my hair out and believe me I haven't much left. :lol:

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    I got my Pro Carbon with Sram a few years ago and it gets ridden as much as the Canyon bike I have. They are vgood bikes and vfm go and try one then get it bought. :)
  • Cheers Diamonddog that's my intention, how does the Frame and Forks fair up though, somebody told me they use a low grade carbon, have you had any problems with your Planet X??
  • gavt0333
    gavt0333 Posts: 95
    You though about the Boardman pro carbon?
  • What was the prices at the Spesh store for their models...?
  • gavt0333 wrote:
    You though about the Boardman pro carbon?
    I've not mate, they worth look at??
  • What was the prices at the Spesh store for their models...?

The Tarmac 2015-105 11 speed was £1500 with a set of 105 Pedals thrown and the Roubaix 2014 105 10 speed was £1400.
  • Is it the fact the P-X bike has Ultegra that makes it droolable, or do you just prefer the bike...?
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Just to start out I am not putting down PX bikes!

I went to look at the Pro Carbon about 5 years ago at a local PX dealer. The guy then said the frames were inferior to say the Spesh frames but the price difference was considerable back then. Now I think there is much less of a gap and the PX frame is old. If you stand a Pro Carbon next to say a Tarmac, Roubaix or even a Super Six or Synapse you can see the differences immediately and the design of the Spesh frames is much much better. For me I would rather ride 105 and have a better frame. The SL4s were twice the price they are now a couple of years back. To me its no brainer and BTW I don't own a Spesh. I do run 105 5700 and its great! Good luck.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Until Planet X can sort their distribution issues out, I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. In trying to punch above their weight, they're letting the customer down with lengthy delays in actually getting ordered goods out. It makes no difference if you go directly to the shop either in my experience with them. Try and buy something like wheels or a bike off the shelf and you get told it has to come from the warehouse.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • solboy10 wrote:
    The guy then said the frames were inferior to say the Spesh frames

Oh? The guy said, did he? :wink:
    the design of the Spesh frames is much much better.

How?
  • bmxboy10
    solboy10 wrote:

How?
    Yes and the "guy" is the owner of a long established and recommended bike shop in Croydon who are a PX dealer so have nothing to gain by dissing the PX brand. In terms of the differences if you see both bikes side by side its obvious.
  • solboy10 wrote:

How?

Because they have Specialized written on them...?

8)
  • anjasola
    anjasola Posts: 145
    Purchase a Planet X Pro Carbon Shimano 6700 Ultegra from them for £999 upgraded the wheelset to RS80's for £250 and brake calipers to Ultegra for £45,they chucked in a pair of Ultegra pedals and two carbon bottle cages free of charge. The service was 1st class and the bike has been great.
  • the "guy" is the owner of a long established and recommended bike shop in Croydon who are a PX dealer so have nothing to gain by dissing the PX brand.

Other than steering you towards a more expensive bike with a bigger mark-up?
    In terms of the differences if you see both bikes side by side its obvious.

Yes - you've said. So I ask again - how?
  • philthy3 wrote:
    Until Planet X can sort their distribution issues out, I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. In trying to punch above their weight, they're letting the customer down with lengthy delays in actually getting ordered goods out. It makes no difference if you go directly to the shop either in my experience with them. Try and buy something like wheels or a bike off the shelf and you get told it has to come from the warehouse.

Yep - they have a habit of pissing people off. I have to say that when I ordered my bike, the service was great.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    philthy3 wrote:

Yep - they have a habit of pissing people off. I have to say that when I ordered my bike, the service was great.

It's a shame, because the goods are perfectly up to the job, but the distribution is a joke.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Cheers Diamonddog that's my intention, how does the Frame and Forks fair up though, somebody told me they use a low grade carbon, have you had any problems with your Planet X??
    You have been told total garbage IME. The frame uses T700 carbon the same as many other brands use. A friend has one as well and he is 85 kg and no problems whatsoever from frame or forks and mine has had the total of a wheel true for repairs in over 2 years.
  • bmxboy10
    the "guy" is the owner of a long established and recommended bike shop in Croydon who are a PX dealer so have nothing to gain by dissing the PX brand.

Layup, tube dimensions, design, technology, research, finish, professional use design/development..............nothing to do with price.
  • Is it the fact the P-X bike has Ultegra that makes it droolable, or do you just prefer the bike...?

TBH colinthecop it's a bit of both, obviously the Ultegra does swing it for me and the overall look of the PX is far more appealing to look at than the Tarmac or the Roubaix 'seen both in the flesh', but only Images of the PX on their website.
    I'm gonna take a drive up to Sheff next weekend and test ride one.
  • bmxboy10
    Is it the fact the P-X bike has Ultegra that makes it droolable, or do you just prefer the bike...?

TBH colinthecop it's a bit of both, obviously the Ultegra does swing it for me and the overall look of the PX is far more appealing to look at than the Tarmac or the Roubaix 'seen both in the flesh', but only Images of the PX on their website.
    I'm gonna take a drive up to Sheff next weekend and test ride one.

So if that's that case and you like it when you see it - buy it. Its your bike and all that really matters is what you think. As I said I am not knocking the PX just commenting on the differences between the bikes and brands you have mentioned. I opted for neither the PX or the Spesh and instead bought a Cinelli that I am more than happy with.
  • blinddrew
    blinddrew Posts: 317
    I've had a pro-carbon for a few years now and whilst it's not as stiff as the latest frames it's still a perfectly good machine (unless you fancy yourself as a serious sprinter). FWIW I'm about 87kg so no giant but not a featherweight.
    Unfortunately customer service can be really hit and miss though. Personally I've had no problems with lots of purchases. I recommended them to my mate who had a nightmare with them and ended up going elsewhere.
    Seems to be a bit of the luck of the draw on that front.
    Music, beer, sport, repeat...
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    solboy10 wrote:
    the "guy" is the owner of a long established and recommended bike shop in Croydon who are a PX dealer so have nothing to gain by dissing the PX brand.

Layup, tube dimensions, design, technology, research, finish, professional use design/development..............nothing to do with price.

Wow - you can tell all that from just looking at it ? Who needs google glass eh ?

FWIW my mate has an SL4. Lovely bike. Its not as fast as my PX though. ;-)
  • Got the limited run of £999 Pro Carbon Ultegra 6700, ordered on Monday got it on Friday. Had to set the breaks up a bit but other than that can't fault the service. Had the chance to ride it once and I'm very pleased with the bike, it rides very well and looks great. Frame seems very stiff, and fork seems to absorb a lot of the vibrations even with the skinny 23mm tyres. I was considering the Synapse with 105 as it won Bike of The Year 2014 award but preferred the look of the PX machine. It all comes down to personal preference, I went with PX as I liked the sound of 6700 and like to support British businesses, not bothered about FSA crank and brakes, can always upgrade in the future. If you can make your way to the shop and try it out go for it, nothing beats putting your leg over a bike and taking it for a spin.
  • solboy10 wrote:
    solboy10 wrote:

How?
    Yes and the "guy" is the owner of a long established and recommended bike shop in Croydon who are a PX dealer so have nothing to gain by dissing the PX brand.

Nothing to gain, except some money.