Tips for Buying the Right Bicycle

kater832
kater832 Posts: 2
edited August 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hello everyone.
I plan on buying a bicycle but I have no clue which to buy. I live in a city so it will almost always be on pavement or the street and I will use it for riding to school and for exercising.
I have seen these two options: Any recommendations?
1. www.walmart.com/ip/29-Genesis-Men-s-GS29-Bike/34116311
2. www.walmart.com/ip/26-Schwinn-Sidewinde ... n/26999374
Thanks for the help.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    This is a UK based website, so we are no experts on the budget end of the scale in the USA where I'm guessing you are.

Ideally at that price point you need to avoid suspension forks, they add a lot of weight and cost, but are in reality useless, for pavement use you don't really want draggy knobbly off road tyres but a tyre (or tire for you guys!) more like one on a car.

Walmart don't really offer anything (I'm on vacation and had a look at the stuff in the local one for a laugh) as so many people think they want a 'mountain bike' (when they don't), so you may need to shop around. But this one is close to what you would be best off with http://www.walmart.com/ip/Titan-Pioneer ... d/17771070
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.