Handbuilt deep section carbon

matt-h
matt-h Posts: 847
edited August 2014 in Road buying advice
How much should I expect to pay for carbon deep section handbuilts?
Not bothered between clinchers or tubs as from my reading tubs don't seem to much of a pain.
They will be on a Scott foil and used for summer/dry weather
Obviously lightweight would be good.

Matt

Comments

• Set your budget to getting the best quality rims and hubs you can afford.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Bit of a chicken Vrs egg question really, as it depends on what you want Vrs how much you can afford.

Ugo will probably be able to give you an idea of what he can do, but you might want to have a rough idea of budget and what your looking for I.e. Aero, light weight, just too look good, cheap no frills etc.

You could always google and look at some local builders to get an idea of what sort of price/features so you can get an idea.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Ugo will probably be able to give you an idea of what he can do, but you might want to have a rough idea of budget and what your looking for I.e. Aero, light weight, just too look good, cheap no frills etc.

The man to ask for these is clearly Derek at Wheelsmith
    left the forum March 2023
  • danlikesbikes

The man to ask for these is clearly Derek at Wheelsmith

^^ what he said, I stand corrected
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • matt-h
    Looks like I'll have to rethink that idea then.
    I was think £500 with a lower spec wheel.
    I can see why they are more like £700 from Wheelsmith, but they are just out of my budget
    The intention was to use them for summer flat rides and to look good.

Matt
  • blinddrew
    blinddrew Posts: 317
    If you do decide to go for it I can really recommend the wheelsmith stuff.
    Music, beer, sport, repeat...
  • matt-h
    Did you get tubs or clinchers Drew?

Matt
  • blinddrew
    blinddrew Posts: 317
    Matt, I went with a set of these: http://yamdac.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/wh ... eview.html

After chatting with a few more serious mates and quite a few people on here (including Ugo) I concluded that if you're going to spend around £500 or under you can pick any two of light, handbuilt or aero. (In which case I'd go light and handbuilt).
    Going up to £750 got me all three.
    You pays your money you takes your choice.
    Music, beer, sport, repeat...
  • Daft question perhaps but does the supposedly enhanced braking on the higher end Zipp/ENVe/Reynolds etc make a significant difference over the likes of the Wheelsmith offerings?

Thinking of getting a set of the tubular version (assume braking between the 2 are broadly similar?) after looking at handbuilt but quickly discovering its not really a cost effective option. Are the higher end wheels worth the price?
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I did very well for £350 then viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=12935650&start=34 such a shame the rims aren't available anymore, not from Planet-X anyway
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • ugo.santalucia
    Daft question perhaps but does the supposedly enhanced braking on the higher end Zipp/ENVe/Reynolds etc make a significant difference over the likes of the Wheelsmith offerings?

Thinking of getting a set of the tubular version (assume braking between the 2 are broadly similar?) after looking at handbuilt but quickly discovering its not really a cost effective option. Are the higher end wheels worth the price?

This is my take:

Composite rims are expensive. You can source stuff with no name and make them cheaper, but you will be riding a product with no credentials, virtually untested, at least in the way expensive rims are tested (impact, pressure, braking, heat dissipation etc.). The various retailers don't make rims, they source them and they don't know themselves the numbers... sometimes they make them up to give some flavour of engineering and science that in fact isn't there (a range of Tg of 50-100 degrees is not science).
    If you are happy with that, go for it, if you are not happy with that, then you are in a loop and you have to find a way out of the loop...
  • Daft question perhaps but does the supposedly enhanced braking on the higher end Zipp/ENVe/Reynolds etc make a significant difference over the likes of the Wheelsmith offerings?

This is my take:

Composite rims are expensive. You can source stuff with no name and make them cheaper, but you will be riding a product with no credentials, virtually untested, at least in the way expensive rims are tested (impact, pressure, braking, heat dissipation etc.). The various retailers don't make rims, they source them and they don't know themselves the numbers... sometimes they make them up to give some flavour of engineering and science that in fact isn't there (a range of Tg of 50-100 degrees is not science).
    If you are happy with that, go for it, if you are not happy with that, then you are in a loop and you have to find a way out of the loop...

So basically I may as well wait until I can afford Zipp/ENVE/Reynolds rather than waste money on cheaper carbon wheels from PX/Wheelsmith etc?
  • ugo.santalucia
    So basically I may as well wait until I can afford Zipp/ENVE/Reynolds rather than waste money on cheaper carbon wheels from PX/Wheelsmith etc?

It's really up to you... it's where your priorities are
  • danlikesbikes
    [/quote]

So basically I may as well wait until I can afford Zipp/ENVE/Reynolds rather than waste money on cheaper carbon wheels from PX/Wheelsmith etc?[/quote]

There are other options such us British manufactures who are not the high end outlets but they use open mould rims and build up the wheels from there. You will pay more than your average EBay import wheels but you have better rights as your buying from a UK supplier so distance selling regulations apply.

Do a quick google but you can get a set of 38mm carbon tubs for around £425 or a bit more if your after clinchers.

Lots of UK branded wheels from the likes of Planet X (generally Carbon with ally rims) strada etc using open market rims so might be worth a look
  • So basically I may as well wait until I can afford Zipp/ENVE/Reynolds rather than waste money on cheaper carbon wheels from PX/Wheelsmith etc?

It's really up to you... it's where your priorities are[/

As ever you get what you pay for. And my priority definitely lies with buying something that at least in theory is safer, although recent threads on Zipps for example make me wonder just how much testing even the big boys do!

So if you had a budget of max £15/1600 would you go for Zipp (probably 303) ENVE (1.45/3.4s) or Reynolds? Or is there something else I'm missing in that budget? Second hand isn't an option with wheels, I want at least the pretence that a is well and a warranty if it isn't! I was hoping for handbuilt so at least something that can relatively easily be rebuilt (which is why I have ruled out something like mavic carbone)
  • matt-h
    I thought the Gigantex rims had a good reputation?

Matt
  • ugo.santalucia
    Or is there something else I'm missing in that budget?

A once in a lifetime cycling holiday?
  • ugo.santalucia
    matt-h wrote:
    I thought the Gigantex rims had a good reputation? Matt

If their clinchers were safe, Planet X would sell them... instead they don't... :roll:
  • matt-h wrote:
    I thought the Gigantex rims had a good reputation? Matt

If their clinchers were safe, Planet X would sell them... instead they don't... :roll:

I'm definitely looking for tubs
  • ugo.santalucia
    Tubulars have fewer problems... they can still delaminate and warp and they still have poor braking in the wet, but at least they won't explode.
    Talk to Wheelsmith as above