help with correct headset

seventyX
seventyX Posts: 4
edited August 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi
This is my first post, so apologies if its not in the correct sub forum. I have already received loads of information here but was wondering if anyone could help with a specific issue.
I have a merlin malt 4 frame that has not been used in years (or at least I always thought I did). I decided to build it back up again this summer and when it came time to buy the headset I emailed merlin and attached pictures of the frame and the two of the head tube that I have attached here.
They recommended a cane creek forty 1 1/8 external headset so i ordered it, however it doesn't fit the external cups just rattle around inside.
I am no bike mechanic but it seems that there are already two cups for bearings to sit in built into the frame, the bottom one being about twice as deep as the top.
If anyone could shed some light on the situation or recommend a headset that would fit, it would be much appreciated
Thank you for your time

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    So you have read the headset standards on parktools?

What measurements do you get?

And what steerer are you planning for the fork?

A side view go the head tube would be good to shims if it really is tapered if you font have measurements.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • thanks for the quick reply

I have read the park tools standards

from what I can understand the steerer will not be tapered, top and bottom of the headtube are both identical diameters approx 50mm. The only difference between the top and bottom seems to be that the cup finishes a couple of mm deeper into the frame than the top

The forks I have are 1 1/8th straight
  • forgot to add the width of the head tube internally at the top and bottom where the bearings (I think should sit) is 40mm and the rest of the way through is 34mm
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Forget external diameters, it's the internal that matter as that dictates the headset standard, so what is the exact ID where the headset should be sitting?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.