Gouge on carbon frame, is it OK?

t3rribl3on3
t3rribl3on3 Posts: 7
edited August 2014 in Workshop
Hi everyone. I went and looked at a bike last night to buy. Everything was perfect with it other than the one thing I noticed in the attached picture. I walked away as a result without the bike. Did I make the right choice? Other than in the picture there wasn't even a single mark on the bike or anything untoward with it.https://www.dropbox.com/s/dvq96vd97b3xro4/2014-08-15%2020.52.59.jpg

Comments

• Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    personally, that wouldnt have worried me if it was a good price and otherwise specced as I wanted it to be...
  • I'm a total novice when it comes to carbon but it was a few mm in through all the paint and down in to the black stuff underneath but I couldn't see any fibres etc. Looks like it was from where the bars had hit the frame and not cable rub . the bike is a 2013 defy composite 3 and they wanted 500 for it.
  • lapavoni10
    lapavoni10 Posts: 146
    I would not trust it without getting it professionally examined...you did the right thing.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    If you are not sure you did the right thing to walk away. While most bikes have minor scratches on them any that are too deep can suggest not only damage but also the bike may not have been looked after too well or it was damaged while being stolen ;)
  • reds99
    reds99 Posts: 46
    From what i could see, that gouge could have been filler what was used during the paint process. Easily refilled with car body filler, but thekn you have to touch up with paint to make good.
    You wont see any fibre as the fibre has cured with the impregnated resin to leave a black solid.
  • lapavoni10
    lapavoni10 Posts: 146
    The issue for me would be not knowing exactly how hard it was hit, and what other damage is done under the skin....my choice would be steer clear.