Chainset query

mathematics
mathematics Posts: 453
edited October 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all

My chainset took a bit of a whack at dalby this, and then stabbed the back of my calf - but I soldiered on :wink:

Anyway, I think it'll need replacing. It's an old Carrera Kraken with an SR Suntour chainset. Now I have a spare chainset in the garage but the rank arms are a different length, think current length is 175 and replacement is 170 or vice versa. Will this create an issue?

If I need to replace I don't mind as I'm slowly upgrading the bike as I go along. But, it currently has square taper bottom bracket, and if I went for something like deore or slx group set the bottom brackets are a different type. Would these fit my frame?

Some very simple questions I'm guessing!

Chris

Comments

• stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    You probably wont notice the difference between 170 and 175mm.

Shimano Deore or SLX would fit fine just make sure when you buy the set that it has the bottom bracket with it, some cheaper internet bargains dont come with it though they can be bought seperately for about £20. I bought a Deore crankset from On One recently for £55 and it comes with the BB.

Deore Chainset
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Thank you.

Can I run the deore m590 9 speed with my current 8 speed set up?

Also my current chainrings are 24-34-42, do I go for the 22-32-44 or the 26-36-48?

Thanks

Chris
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    9 will work with 8 just fine.

The 48t large ring is the 'tracking' set not MTBing, you would (or should) need a longer chain, in fact going from 42 to 44 you may need to add on up air of links depending on how it is sized now.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks I think there was a little in it - but I have some links if necessary.

Chris