Avid Brakes

delete_my_account
delete_my_account Posts: 192
edited August 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm replacing the pads on my Elixir brakes which I've done a million times before but this time they're being an arse. I'm replacing the back ones with the front ones, and the front ones with new.

In the back I've pushed the pistons back with a screwdriver and the old pads. I've put the front (part worn) pads in the back, put the bolt in, wheel on. The pads are nowhere near the rotor.

No amount of squeezing the lever is making the pads stay closer to the rotor. Both pads are moving but they're not adjusting themselves like usual.

I removed the wheel and pumped the lever more and replaced the wheel. No better.

What do I do?
Delete my fucking account.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Don't pump them rapidly, pull the lever, hold for a few seconds to (hopefully) let the seal settle, then release slowly and repeat.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • TJ20862
    TJ20862 Posts: 78
    they may require a bleed as you may have pushed too much fluid out of the caliper?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    TJ20862 wrote:
    they may require a bleed as you may have pushed too much fluid out of the caliper?
    Erm, just no, what a load of twaddle.

From your other posts, you say you work in Halfords, please try not to perpetuate the myth that you are all knowledge less about bikes.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Haha, no fluid came out of the calliper. If I'm pushing the pistons into the calliper this makes it even less likely.

I ended up adjusting the levers' reach all the way out which meant that when I pulled the lever the pistons were actually adjusting themselves rather than just retracting to where they were before. Never had to do that before though. I don't like Avid brakes. Been thinking about getting some SLXs or some XTs
    Delete my fucking account.