what lube?

UKES
UKES Posts: 23
edited August 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Theres that many different lubricants around i was wondering if soneone could break it down for me. Wet,dry and then degreaser etc.

Does the type of lube and regularity of degreasing depend on the conditions, ie winter or summer. Ive been using what i assume is a wet lube but often find if i go to pines for example my cassette and chain are full of crap. Obviously i clean a re lube but im hot sure if its doing more harm than good.

Apart from the obvious, is there anything else i should be lubing regularly :shock: and do i need to use a different lube for varying components?

Cheers

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I use Squirt. Follow the instructions, apply more often in wet weather and never degrease again
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    UKES wrote:
    if i go to pines for example my cassette and chain are full of crap.

I find the same 9 times out of 10 there, so much sand, it gets everywhere.
  • UKES
    Cheers cooldad, that sounds rather simple :D

Antm yeah it does everytime, bonus is you get to bkast the crap off with the jet washes :wink:

I actually thought people used different tyes for different conditions etc.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I hope the jet wash thing is a joke.
  • UKES
    mcnultycop wrote:
    I hope the jet wash thing is a joke.

Not for the bike it isnt :D

I obv dont blast the cassette as i was advised ages ago not to, i hate cleaning the pissing thing though.

What damage would blasting it cause, water in the bearings im assuming?
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Yeah water plus all the sand and grit gets forced in there too.
  • UKES wrote:

What damage would blasting it cause, water in the bearings im assuming?

I reckon this is a bit of an old wives' tale / exaggerated.
    If you have a very high-powered jet and you stick it right in there, then maybe. But let's face it most people aren't that daft - waving a power washer over your bike from a sensible distance is not going to do any harm at all IMO.
    It's just not all that effective: the one time I did it at the local petrol station it got the worst of the crud off but not much more than a hosepipe would.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not at all, water at speed has inertia, when that water is stopped as it arrives in a nook or cranny that inertia translates into very high pressures, that is why watches rated at 100m static pressure can only be worn swimming down to 10m (one tenth the increase in pressure over the air pressure inside the watch).

Using a jet wash on a bike is a waste of time, there are so few places you can use it safely (away from wheel hubs, BB, seat tube, headset for example) it's not worth the hassle, sponge and buckets all the way.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    The only time you can get away using a jet washer on a bike is when its filthy and you are going to strip it down and do a full service.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • UKES
    I never realised jet washing was so bad to be honest.......The only time i ever jet wash is at Sherwood Pines after a dirty ride, i obviously dont bkast it at point blank range gut its handy as i can get the crap off, clean the cassette and pop it back in my van until next time.

If i go more local Ill cover it in muc off for 5 mins before gently hosing it down.
  • The Rookie
    Take a bucket and sponge and a container of water......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    :shock: Is a garden hose as bad?
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    no.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    Good,I couldn't be bothered changing anyway...in just ordered some Rock N Roll extreme, seems highly rated elsewhere...
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • I've just bought some Squirt as well, I'll see what it's like.
  • The Rookie
    Lewis A wrote:
    :shock: Is a garden hose as bad?
    If you use a nozzle to create pressure which translates into speed as it exits, yes it can be.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    AndyPatio wrote:
    I've just bought some Squirt as well, I'll see what it's like.

Make sure you degrease the chain properly first, first time I tried Squirt I just wiped chain clean but all the oil inside the chain made a horrible gummy messy mix with the lube. It needs to be absolutely squeaky clean. 2nd time I soaked my chain in Diesel (didnt have any paraffin) for about 3 days, then in neat Fenwicks FS1 and finished off with lots of water and pulled it through a rag till it didnt leave black streaks.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • stubs wrote:
    AndyPatio wrote:
    I've just bought some Squirt as well, I'll see what it's like.

Make sure you degrease the chain properly first, first time I tried Squirt I just wiped chain clean but all the oil inside the chain made a horrible gummy messy mix with the lube. It needs to be absolutely squeaky clean. 2nd time I soaked my chain in Diesel (didnt have any paraffin) for about 3 days, then in neat Fenwicks FS1 and finished off with lots of water and pulled it through a rag till it didnt leave black streaks.

Cheers for the advice :) Is it worth scrubbing all the cassette and that as well? or just the chain?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I'd clean the cassette as well, or sh1t will just stick to it.
    Cassettes and chainwheels should be dry.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools