Tyre won't seat

rob27789
rob27789 Posts: 13
edited August 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Help guys n girls. Got a puncture with a thorn, tube out and repaired and back in tyre back on then blow it up. But the tyre refuses to sit square. When you fit the wheel back and spin the wheel you can watch the tyre to up and down as it rotates, or put another way instead of a circle shape on its outer edge when viewed from the side it's in effect egg shape.

Any ideas? I've had it on and off god knows how many times, I've got a new tube in it the same just cannot get it to seat so when it's inflated and viewed from the side the outer edge is circular instead of egg shape and goign up and down as it rotates. Doing my head in !!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Blow it up really hard until it pops into place.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rob27789
    rob27789 Posts: 13
    Had it upto 60psi but no luck on getting the damn thing seated
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Try fitting to the wheel and pumping the tyre up about 1/3 and then try rolling the tyre to get it to seat in the rim, you might need to pump it up a bit more as you need to have enough air in for it to push against the wall of the tyre but not so much that you can roll the tyre partly awat for the rim to get it to sit properly as it will depend of the tyre size.

Failing that you could try pumping the tyre up 1-2 to 2/3 and then bounce the tyre gently all the way round to get the tyre to sit properly.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    have you damaged the rim or tyre bead when taking it off?

is there anything on the rim/tyre stopping it from going on?
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Some soapy water often helps the bead to pop into place
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap