bargain bike lights

thejellett
thejellett Posts: 16
edited August 2014 in MTB buying advice
howdy all, looking at taking advantage of halfords 20% off lights deals. I am down to 2, these

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/accesso ... ront-light

or these

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/accesso ... bike-light

the moons come in at a shade over £43.00 while the cateyes are £35

I will be riding in the dark mainly on country roads, wont be on trails, if its all about lumens then the moon 550s win handsdown, but is it?

advice is massivly appreciated as the nights are drawing in!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • thanks again cooldad. But this was the first thread I looked at - no comparison of these 2 lights on there....
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    For commuting lights they will be fine, I use a similar Lezyne for commuting (550lm) wouldn't use it off-road though as it's not bright enough, but off-road lights aren't appreciated by other road users!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    thejellett wrote:
    thanks again cooldad. But this was the first thread I looked at - no comparison of these 2 lights on there....

Nope but you'll get a lot more brightness for your money in the thread.
    The Rookie wrote:
    For commuting lights they will be fine, I use a similar Lezyne for commuting (550lm) wouldn't use it off-road though as it's not bright enough, but off-road lights aren't appreciated by other road users!

As long as you angle them sensibly it's fine, and a quick tilt at non dipping car idiots works wonders.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'd disagree, there is too much light spread on them for effective dipping so as not to annoy other road users in my opinion.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.