bottom bracket advise

UKES
UKES Posts: 23
edited August 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys

Im pretty certain I need a new bottom bracket so after eliminating everything i can think of im just going to change the damn thing. Its on a Boardman Comp so i dont wanna be spending massive money! Ive been into Halfords who think the same and although its under warranty I really cant be bothered dealing with them. Ill just change it myself,not that bike savvy but from an engineering background so sure i'll figure it out :D. Plus, i fancy tinkering.

Any advise on what I need? Are there different sizes etc and what should I look out for?

Thanks

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What year is your bike? Can you identify the model of bottom bracket, or type? They have changed over the years!
  • UKES
    supersonic wrote:
    What year is your bike? Can you identify the model of bottom bracket, or type? They have changed over the years!

Its a 2013 mate (green and white)......i wouldnt know the difference....would pics help?
  • supersonic
    Or a link to the bike of you have one.

What is the problem by the way?
  • UKES
    supersonic wrote:
    Or a link to the bike of you have one.

What is the problem by the way?

http://reviews.halfords.com/4028/227475/reviews.htm

Its creaking under pressure, ive tightened the crank arms, changed pedals etc......its driving me insane. Halfords rekon a loose lockring wouldnt creak, its a bearing issue and its sealed so needs replacing.
  • supersonic
    It seems the bottom bracket is an FSA powerdrive. Have you tried removing it and greasing the threads? I am not sure a new one will cure it, is a propietry part.
  • UKES
    supersonic wrote:
    It seems the bottom bracket is an FSA powerdrive. Have you tried removing it and greasing the threads? I am not sure a new one will cure it, is a propietry part.

Ive not tried that based on the advise by Halfords, excuse my ignorance bud but why wouldnt replacing it solve it?

What does greasing the threads involve? Other than greasing the threads of course :)
  • supersonic
    Remove bottom bracket from frame (with suitable tool!) grease the frame and BB threads, reinstall. Sometimes cures it. You'll need a tool anyway to fit a new one:

http://www.eachbuyer.com/bike-bicycle-c ... m_content=[Sports+&+Outdoors]&utm_campaign=[PLA]England%28EN%29&gclid=CLfLhuTFlcACFY_ItAod7WgADg

But also a crank extractor to get the cranks off.
  • UKES
    supersonic wrote:
    Remove bottom bracket from frame (with suitable tool!) grease the frame and BB threads, reinstall. Sometimes cures it. You'll need a tool anyway to fit a new one:

http://www.eachbuyer.com/bike-bicycle-c ... m_content=[Sports+&+Outdoors]&utm_campaign=[PLA]England%28EN%29&gclid=CLfLhuTFlcACFY_ItAod7WgADg

But also a crank extractor to get the cranks off.

Thanks for the advise, ill give that a whirl before replacing it, like you say i need the tools anyway for future.

I find it hard to beleive that its actually a sealed baring thats failed, its not dont that many miles.

Other than a crank extractor and lockring tool is there anything else ill need? I dont wanna start and then not be able to finish! Im assuming its centred by the lockrings?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No that will do it, not sure if a normal square taper extractor will work or if you need the larger 'ISIS' sized end cap, I'd always suggest getting the latter as they only cost pennies more.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • UKES
    Okay, so ive tried adding a photo and resizing it 20 times but apparently its still too big.

Anyway Ive been out, got the required tools and out she came, its a sealed unit and is indeed the one suggested by Supersonic. Ive given it a good clean up and shoved some grease where i can for good measure :shock: ....ive cleaned and greased up the threads, popped her back in and voila, no more creaks :)

I do suspect it wont last too long as the bearings sounded rough, and there was some play in relation to the housing and the spindal. Either way i enjoyed it, learnt summat today.

Thanks for the advise supersonic.
  • UKES
    The Rookie wrote:
    No that will do it, not sure if a normal square taper extractor will work or if you need the larger 'ISIS' sized end cap, I'd always suggest getting the latter as they only cost pennies more.

Hi Rookie

Im not sure what type i got as i dont know the difference. Its basically like a ratchet with a centre pin and an independant thread....you know the type, it did the trick.

Right mess around as after halfords i went to Evans for the the lockring tool but they didnt have the FSA compatible type.....Its basically a castlated socket type thing, but the ring spanner type i gather is for Shimano bb's?....im assuming from looking at the difference that the FSA type sit more inbound than the Shimano type?
  • The Rookie
    Should be nothing like a ratchet (makes a clicking noise as it rotates, aka ratcheting).

A crank extractor is a concentric thread, the outer threads into the crank arm, the inner screws through it and buts up against the BB axle to push the arm off, ISIS uses a larger end piece as the axle is hollow, but it will be removable so the extractor still works on square taper.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bob6397
    bob6397 Posts: 218
    UKES wrote:
    Okay, so ive tried adding a photo and resizing it 20 times but apparently its still too big.

Try this for pics in the future :)http://pixresizer.en.softonic.com/
    Boardman HT Team - Hardtail
    Rose Pro-SL 2000 - Roadie
  • The Rookie
    Or just use an external host like photobucket or tiny pic, much much easier.