pinno Posts: 52,113
edited August 2014 in Road buying advice
...and worst of all it is green.

1408094347010-1jcniqsz8s0o7-700-80.jpg
seanoconn - gruagach craic!

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    The Kask Mojito was going for £65 IIRC but it was a horrid blue/black sky like colour scheme.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Would rather have the Kask Infinity but that around 200 too.

What you could do is get your old helmet, smash it up a bit and go somewhere that does discount on crash replacement.
  • smoggysteve
    drlodge wrote:
    The Kask Mojito was going for £65 IIRC but it was a horrid blue/black sky like colour scheme.

where was this? A friend wanted a mojito and is an occasional Team Sky full kit W@nker so would suit him.
  • I don't understand this rant. There are more expensive helmets than this, and much cheaper helmets too. If you want a helmet you are not obliged to spend £200 or anywhere near it.

It's like saying "£100000 for a bloody Ferrari".
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I just checked, it was Ribble but no longer available it seems :-(
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    It's available in 11 other colour schemes beyond the green.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    I don't understand this rant. There are more expensive helmets than this, and much cheaper helmets too. If you want a helmet you are not obliged to spend £200 or anywhere near it.

If you can get a (new) Ferrari for £100k I'd snap their hand off.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • SecretSam wrote:
    I don't understand this rant. There are more expensive helmets than this, and much cheaper helmets too. If you want a helmet you are not obliged to spend £200 or anywhere near it.

If you can get a (new) Ferrari for £100k I'd snap their hand off.

Whatever :D
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    just paid £160 for the new Specialized Evade - its aero, it vents, and I trust my head in it in an accident (well at least as much as any other)
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • dread_i1
    dread_i1 Posts: 178
    What is your head worth? if people believe that £195 will buy better protection than £100 what's the problem.

P.s. I quite like the colour.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Weird thread.

No one forces you to buy it.
  • BenderRodriguez
    BenderRodriguez Posts: 907
    edited August 2014
    dread_i1 wrote:
    What is your head worth? if people believe that £195 will buy better protection than £100 what's the problem.

The fact that no matter how much you pay, any helmet you buy will almost certainly only offer the same pitiful level of 'protection' as something that costs twenty quid in Decathlon, and quite possibly less?

The whole purpose of a helmet is supposedly to offer protection, but you never see any manufacturer selling any of their products on the basis that they offer a greater level of protection than another helmet. The reason is that they are all built to pass the same very low test standards. Instead the marketing men all witter on about weight, looks ventilation and so forth, which to my mind would be like car companies selling sports cars on the basis of their looks and sound, but non of which can actually do more than 20 Mph!

Given that modern helmets with lots of ventilation holes very often simply break up in a real world impact, suffering from brittle fracture failures that absorbs next to no energy, if I were looking for a higher level of protection I would be tempted to look for a design that has a more continuous surface, such as one of the 'aero' designs

It might also be a good idea to look for a US market model that has passed the B95 SNELL certification tests, which are marginally more stringent than the EN 1078 ones. Good luck though, almost all currently available helmets are incapable of passing the B95 test standards, and independent tests have shown that many even fail to meet the very weak EN 1078 standards!
    "an original thinker… the intellectual heir of Galileo and Einstein… suspicious of orthodoxy - any orthodoxy… He relishes all forms of ontological argument": jane90.
  • dread_i1 wrote:

Because it is utterly not true.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Kask have a deal on the £165 Verigo for trade in of any old lid and the price is reduced down to £100 so it's cheaper than the Mojito range which is below it in the range but currently at £125ish
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • fatdaz
    fatdaz Posts: 348
    marcusjb wrote:
    It's available in 11 other colour schemes beyond the green.

But I don't want 12 helmets
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Blah blah I'm turning this into a helmets don't do any good thread blah blah blah

My admiration on your restraint in waiting a whole 11 posts before pointlessly trying to derail the discussion! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Considering what I've spent on bibs, skinsuits, sunnies, shoes, etc. £195 for a helmet that fits well and I like seems fairly standard.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Rolf F wrote:
    Blah blah I'm turning this into a helmets don't do any good thread blah blah blah

My admiration on your restraint in waiting a whole 11 posts before pointlessly trying to derail the discussion! :lol:

One, I never said that helmets don't do 'any good'. They are reasonably able to do what they are designed to do, that is pass some rather arbitrary tests that have dubious relevance to real-world impacts and which use a pretty low impact force. As such they might well prevent minor concussion and scalp lacerations in a simple fall where no more than about 90 joules of energy is generated.

Secondly, I was simply answering a previous poster who had made the classic mistake of thinking that an expensive helmet is likely to offer more protection.

Thirdly, surely a discussion of why a helmet costs £200 is justified in asking whether or not is offers more protection than a £20 one. After all, that is supposed to be their primary function!
    "an original thinker… the intellectual heir of Galileo and Einstein… suspicious of orthodoxy - any orthodoxy… He relishes all forms of ontological argument": jane90.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,717
    A few years back one of the motorcycle magazines tested crash helmets and found a sandwich offered nearly as much protection. So, you might as well strap a couple of cheeses and pickle butties to your head if they are to be believed. Then you've got something to eat if you get peckish.
    Personally I'll stick to my moderately expensive Kask Mojito because it doesn't leave crumbs in my barnet, it makes the wife happy I'm being careful, it's comfortable and not least I hope it will help if I bang my head.
    If you want cheap protection by all means tape an egg mayo sarnie to your bonce.
    I'm going for another beer.
  • vfast1
    vfast1 Posts: 98
    Again pointless thread. It's like saying "5 grand for a bike?" If you want it you buy it!
    Winter Road - 2014 Boardman Sport
    MTB - 2012 Canyon Nerve XC 7
    Summer Road - 2012 Cannondale Supersix 105 Liquigas Colours
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Thirdly, surely a discussion of why a helmet costs £200 is justified in asking whether or not is offers more protection than a £20 one. After all, that is supposed to be their primary function!

My admiration for continuing to try to derail the thread :wink:

Since when did the price of anything HAVE to be related to their primary function? I'd argue that it's almost the exception. A silver teaspoon (in fact, pretty much anything that costs more than a plastic or pressed metal one), nearly all fashion clothes, many cars, houses, furniture, and so on. As for helmets, my experience is that the higher the original price, the lighter, the better ventilated, the more comfortable (possibly more aero), better looking and more maintainable (replacement pads, silver anti-smell etc) they are. Generally very little to do with the primary function but more pleasant to wear.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Grill wrote:
    Considering what I've spent on bibs, skinsuits, sunnies, shoes, etc. £195 for a helmet that fits well and I like seems fairly standard.

You are VTech and I claim my £5. :lol:
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Grill wrote:

You are VTech and I claim my £5. :lol:

I actually ride a bike. :roll:
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • pinno
    Veronese68 wrote:
    A few years back one of the motorcycle magazines tested crash helmets and found a sandwich offered nearly as much protection. So, you might as well strap a couple of cheeses and pickle butties to your head if they are to be believed. Then you've got something to eat if you get peckish.
    Personally I'll stick to my moderately expensive Kask Mojito because it doesn't leave crumbs in my barnet, it makes the wife happy I'm being careful, it's comfortable and not least I hope it will help if I bang my head.
    If you want cheap protection by all means tape an egg mayo sarnie to your bonce.
    I'm going for another beer.

If I paint a detailed cross section of a Panini on my helmet, will it offer double the protection? (than your average bog standard cucumber on blotting paper, British equivalent)
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    My helmet's purple.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • pinno
    MattC59 wrote:
    My helmet's purple.

Too much information. However, Stevo wants to know if it is cheap.
  • paul64
    paul64 Posts: 278
    There's another serious question about the wearing of helmets, responsibility. The public psyche is that we are irresponsible if we don't, some cyclists get shouted at if they don't (see recent thread of a cyclist experiencing this when being overtaken by another group of cyclists), none of which matters if you don't wear one.

However, my understanding is that it could affect our personal injury entitlements should we, heaven forbid, need to pursue one. I was typically more comfortable through the years wearing a cycling sweatband and no helmet for comfort when working hard. Now I feel that if I don't wear a helmet, eyewear and bright lights through tree-covered roads even on sunny days then I give someone else an excuse to say I was not acting responsibly.

Interested in what others have to say.

Oh, and I usually pick a £30 Specialized model with an expectation of changing them every couple of years for hygiene as much as anything. They have vents, ratchet wheel and don't look much more stupid than anything else we wear to the public!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,717
    If I paint a detailed cross section of a Panini on my helmet, will it offer double the protection? (than your average bog standard cucumber on blotting paper, British equivalent)
    It's a panino or some panini. And you would need real ones not painted ones.
    I would also state that contrary to what the popular press seem to believe a crash helmet is not magic. They cannot protect you from all head injuries. Wearing a crash helmet certainly didn't help when I had my accident as it was on my head, not my hand.
  • smoggysteve
    Hey! Paddington Bear kept an emergency marmalade sandwich under his hat. Now you know why
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    MattC59 wrote:
    My helmet's purple.

Too much information. However, Stevo wants to know if it is cheap.
    Dont let Ugo see this!
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo