New MTB for roadie

Southgate
Southgate Posts: 246
edited December 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys

As a result of a settled insurance claim I have around (+ or -) £3,500 to spend on a new 2015 bike / accessories. The funds have been deposited with my LBS, and I am restricted to either the Scott or Wilier range.

I am an experienced roadie with a racing licence, but I'm thinking of going outside my comfort zone and getting an MTB, partly because I don't really need another road bike, and partly because it sounds like a whole lot of fun.

Thing is, I know next to nothing about MTBing, so I am (rather embarrassingly, but only cos of the insurance!) in the 'all the gear and no idea' category. Without the insurance money, I would just go for an entry level MTB and see how I get on, but hey ho, having a heap of cash to spend is a nice 'problem' to have. :D

I would expect to ride the bike around 100 miles a week or thereabouts, mainly on canal towpaths, local parks and forests. I guess you'd consider this pretty gentle terrain, but I would like something robust enough to cope with the occasional excursion into rougher terrain.

I understand I have a pretty limited choice of bike, but what would people recommend?
Superstition begins with pinning race number 13 upside down and it ends with the brutal slaughter of Mamils at the cake stop.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Depends on what your LBS has or can get. Pretty much anything at that price level will be a decent bike.
    Why only those two brands?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Because those are the bike brands his LBS does...?

Try and get some demos, I'd have a Scott Scale 910.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'd agree on the Scale, ideal for the use you describe and likely to feel comfortable for you.

P.S. You have to stop shaving your legs as well!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Southgate
    It's a small LBS and they only stock two brands - as a long term customer I get a great discount, but the trade off in this case is that I have limited choice. They only have road bikes in the shop (so they're not my first point of call for advice on MTBs), but they can order anything from Scott or Wilier.
    Superstition begins with pinning race number 13 upside down and it ends with the brutal slaughter of Mamils at the cake stop.
  • Southgate
    The Rookie wrote:
    P.S. You have to stop shaving your legs as well!

WTF! No way! Maybe I can buy some adhesive fur or a leg wig
  • The Rookie
    Good lord, next you'll be refusing to wear baggies!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 2015 model... first ride tomorrow morning! Can't wait :-) :-)
  • njee20
    Looks good. Enjoy
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Southgate wrote:
    I am an experienced roadie with a racing licence,

What the hell does that mean? Any idiot can get a race licence.
  • njee20
    I guess there's an inference that whilst anyone can get one, few do it for the hell of it, and actually the number of people who road race, as a proportion of those who ride on the road, is very very small. But I suspect you knew that.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Nope. Don't you get a provisional race licence with BC membership?
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    All irrelevant to the guy's new bike surely?

Looks rapid, but too clean :D
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Thanks for the comments / advice guys, much appreciated. Just took the bike out for its first ride.... not quite so clean now! Only a few miles along towpaths and trails, but I'm already addicted. I can't believe how grippy and agile it feels, even in the mud. Going off a couple of little drops with the front sus on was exhilarating... I think I'm going to enjoy winter riding now, rather than just endure it. Even wore me baggies! :D:D:D

(Rockmonkey: Bit confrontational there! :roll: FYI, I have a licence and I race, just not at the mo cos I'm still recovering from a crash in the Spring. I only mentioned it cos I didn't want forum users to waste their time giving me basic advice about riding in general)
  • The Rookie
    I think most of us knew what you meant....... ;-)

Now think of all those wasted miles you've put on road bikes without a huge grin on your face!
  • ^ Haha... I always have a big grin on my face... OK maybe it's a bit bigger today...