ATTN PROSS: Cardiff 2015 UCI race and sportive

alan_a
alan_a Posts: 1,550
edited October 2014 in Pro race
http://www.velothon-wales.co.uk/en/the-event/

Looks interesting. Pross have you got any insider info?

Comments

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    120k is a bit short for a sportive given they are bound to insist on everyone registering the day before making it a weekend job.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    They first announced this in 2011, with a proposed 2012 start, so we shall see. Most things seem to be in place now though.

The shorter 50km sportif I have probably done more that any other route, with the exception of my communte (which is the first part of it anyway). I never did find an easy way around Caerphilly Mountain
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,593
    First I've heard of it! Hopefully the race element will come to fruition, it would be interesting to see what level of UCI sanctioned event it will be, I think the GP of Wales last year was a UCI event but only had UK conti level teams and club riders taking part.
  • RichN95.
    Pross wrote:
    First I've heard of it! Hopefully the race element will come to fruition, it would be interesting to see what level of UCI sanctioned event it will be, I think the GP of Wales last year was a UCI event but only had UK conti level teams and club riders taking part.
    It's 1.1 apparently. GP Wales was 1.2

So you'll probably get a team from Sky, maybe a couple of Pro Conti teams that haven't got invitations elsewhere and then Conti teams from home and abroad and a GB national team.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,593
    What does it clash with at that time? It's 2 weeks before the Nationals by the look of it and probably overlaps with the Dauphine and Tour de Suisse.
  • RichN95.
    Pross wrote:
    What does it clash with at that time? It's 2 weeks before the Nationals by the look of it and probably overlaps with the Dauphine and Tour de Suisse.
    Yeah, basically those two. But I don't think that will be a problem. This won't be a race for anyone looking at the Tour. Which leaves plenty of others - just maybe not WT teams.
  • EnnBee
    EnnBee Posts: 20
    Pross wrote:

It's been planned for some time now - Cycling Weekly mentioned it as far back as September 2011.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... 2012-48296

Last year's GP of Wales was not a UCI-sanctioned race. That event has only been as such in 2008.
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    It's 1.1 apparently. GP Wales was 1.2

So you'll probably get a team from Sky, maybe a couple of Pro Conti teams that haven't got invitations elsewhere and then Conti teams from home and abroad and a GB national team.

Sounds about right - Velothon Berlin was similar:
    http://www.procyclingstats.com/race/Gar ... -Startlist
    Garmin, Katusha, 4 Pro Conti, local Conti teams and a National team.
  • gdcfc1
    gdcfc1 Posts: 125
    Any idea when Berlin 2015 entries will open? Have trawled web but while event is there, cannot find entry forms except for 2014.
    looking into the +1