Grip tape for brake levers?

starbuck
starbuck Posts: 256
edited August 2014 in Road buying advice
Not sure if this exists but is there any tape/grip strip you can put on the brake levers themselves to give you more grip on the levers in rain?

I rode the ridelondon surrey 100 last weekend and it was wet for the majority of the ride which made the levers a little slippery.

Can you get small adhesive strips to put on the levers to increase grip in this sort of weather? If so, where can I get them from?

Comments

• trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    I dont think that would be a good idea. Even if they worked at first you are asking for trouble. You wouldn't want them to unstick when braking on a descent or a sudden stop. Long finger gloves with grips on the fingers are a much safer option.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    I think you are trying to find a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. I have never heard of finger slipping down the brake lever
    left the forum March 2023
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    Carbon levers with gloss can become very slippy in the rain if your wearing fingerless mitts. i experienced it recently too so the problem does exist but there are better solutions for it.
  • Dippydog2
    Dippydog2 Posts: 291
    Clearly you do not have a problem. Everyone tells you that you do not have a problem, so you must be imagining it. :D

Should you wish to fix your imaginary problem you can do so with thin strips of this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tesa-Transparen ... B0024NKD8U or this
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/anti-slip-tap ... oCTPrw_wcB
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    left the forum March 2023
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,036
    I can only imagine this is a problem if you have very small hands and can only just get the tips of your fingers on the levers - in which case short reach levers would be a much better solution.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    I can only imagine this is a problem if you have very small hands and can only just get the tips of your fingers on the levers - in which case short reach levers would be a much better solution.

My thoughts exactly, although you can't buy specific short reach levers AFAIK. You can adjust the reach by various means though, depending on what brifters you're using.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    lizard skins do them. I've run them on the mtb in the past
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    You cant be gripping the levers properly if you're slipping off them ? The fingers wrap round the lever so it should be fine.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Some of my MTB gloves have grippy patches on the first 2 fingers.

I don't think they make much difference though.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gorilla-Snot-Guitar-Pick-Drumstick/dp/B0002GL5S8

Try a tiny bit of that on the lever?? (if you think it's a problem). Designed to help guitarists not drop picks in sweaty conditions. Small pot but will last ages.

EDIT... actually stuff that, it says it disappears once air hits it (not that I noticed it do that when I tried it... not for cycling, for picks)
  • Pooter
    Pooter Posts: 68
    Some cross riders like Compton use superglue and sand on levers.
  • starbuck
    starbuck Posts: 256
    trailflow wrote:
    I dont think that would be a good idea. Even if they worked at first you are asking for trouble. You wouldn't want them to unstick when braking on a descent or a sudden stop. Long finger gloves with grips on the fingers are a much safer option.

That sounds like the best idea (and to be honest, the weather was a bit extreme on the ridelondon).

Can anyone then recommend some good long finger summer gloves?

I sometimes get tingling fingers etc on long rides, so I recently bought some Specialized BG Gel fingerless which have really worked, so ideally the long finger gloves would have gel pads to help with long rides (doesn't help that the roads near me are full of holes and bumps).
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    why nut use the sandpaper type stuff Team Sky use on the aerobars of the TT bikes
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799