Giant defy alliance 1 Vs 2008 Giant OCR C2/Trek Madone 4.5

Okko.okko
Okko.okko Posts: 7
edited August 2014 in Road buying advice
Dear all,
I decided to join you after i have spent several days reading many of your posts (without registering) comparing bikes and giving your own reviews/experiences/advices for others. I am new into this field, and would like to own a second hand road bike. I intend to use it for commuting and road riding (i.e long distance , but not racing ). I know many of you might say " try the bike, and see if you feel comfortable riding it; it's good if it fits your budget ". I am tall (6.34 ft, 70 Kg, 154 lbs)

Comparing second hand "Giant defy alliance 1 Vs 2008 Giant OCR C2 Vs Trek Madone 4.5". Which one is better in terms of components, and safer (as better brakes). someone suggested 1050$ for Giant defy alliance 1, another one suggested 850$ for Giant OCR C2 2008 and 1300 for Trek Madone 4.5

EDITED Also, they say the bikes are in excellent condition. the OCR C2 claims he used it only for 95 miles.

Thank you for all your posts ,and i hope i will contribute in the future as i am trying to learn about components/ and other road bike related stuffs.

Comments

• For the moderator: Please move this topic to any section of your convenience. I didn't know where to write my post, but i thought my post in this section would be convenient .
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    Hello, welcome to the BR Forum.

I can't see any models in the Giant bike archive for an OCR C2, there is an SCR C2 2008 model
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bik ... /#features
    is this the bike you are referring to?

It is a carbon frame and fork and I would imagine is the predecessor of the Defy range of bikes.

The Defy Alliance 1 2010 http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bik ... /#features
    looks like it is a Aluxx frame with carbon fork.

Can't see any specs' for the SCR C2, so can't advise you on which has the best brakes/components. You need to go and look at both bikes carefully and inspect the frames/forkes for crash damage and faults, cracks at the frame welds/joins and particularly the carbon frame of the SCR C2. Check the condition of the wheels, hubs, spokes and rims and that the gear system/controls and brakes work correctly.

Also it will depend on whether either of the frames are the right size for you. If all is o.k. then buy the one that you like the look and feel of. If possible ride them beforehand. If you can, take someone who know about bikes with you to give you a second opinion/guidance.

Good luck with it.

Edit. Just for your information, you would probably receive more responses if you had posted in the Road Buying Advice or Road Beginners Sub Forums. :)
  • Thank you for your reply. I appreciate it. I will move the topic to the indicated sections .

Here's a link to the bicycle i referred to : 2008 OCR C2
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/bik ... /#overview

Its features are indicated on this site
    http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/Bike ... del=OCR+C2

sorry if i shouldn't share the link as it could be counted as advertising other sites.

Also i am thinking about Trek Madone 4.5
  • Any other advices ? Any inputs ?
  • SCR Pedro
    SCR Pedro Posts: 912
    The biggest difference between the Giants is the frame. The OCR C2 is the carbon fibre version of the OCR, and with SRAM Rival is an excellent bike. The Defy Alliance is the updated version of the OCR frame, but is made from aluminium and carbon fibre. The down tube, part of the seat tube and chain stays are alu'.

The only way I could decide would be by seeing them both, seeing how they fit, and maybe riding around the block.
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    Okko,

I looked on the Giant UK/Ireland website and that OCR C2 model is not shown, however the comments I made about the SCR C2 apply to the OCR C2 and if the bike has genuinely only done 95miles it should be in excellent condition, assuming it has not been crashed.

I've not owned or ridden a Trek Madone 4.5, so can't advise you on that, there are a lot of owners on this forum who rate them highly as comfortable race bikes.
  • Thank you all for your reply. I do appreciate your help.

From what i read, having carbon frame is really good (if the frame is in excellent condition) as it reduces vibrations, thus more comfy ride and reduce the weight of the bike. This is a clear advantage over the Aluminum frame. However, if i find an Aluminum frame that has better components than a bike with Carbon frame, I think i would be inclined to buy the Bike with Aluminum frame . I know , one of the bikes company strategy for the entry level road bike, is to use high quality frame with lower components . So the price remains within the reach of customers who are interested in entry level road bike. Then, we get to upgrades the components and pay extra money. Sram rival for example is better than ultegra . But both are good.
    As for me, I care more about having excellent components , with a good frame even if that means my bike is a bit heavier than a carbon frame. As after all, I will not use it for racing.

The OCR C2 was sold today ! that was fast ! I will have to keep searching for other bikes. I am currently learning how to inspect used bikes so that i can tell its real conditions.

Thank you all again