Help removing bike decal logo branding

nawaz83
nawaz83 Posts: 2
edited August 2014 in Workshop
Hi,

so need a few pointers as to the best way to remove all the bike branding/logos from the frame. Not sure if there is a clear coat on the frame so any advice would be appreciated.

i have 2011 Specialized Langster:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/langster-2011-single-speed-road-bike-ec024961

dont want to do anything fancy, just make the frame a plain colour.

thanks

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Just nitromors the whole frame (not forks) and clear lacquer it
  • reds99
    reds99 Posts: 46
    Is nitromors paint stripper? Is that what you want to do strip the paint or just take the decals off. If its just the decal, try white vinegar i believe its good at removing stickers etc. Or im assuming the decals are stickers here, Get a new sharp stanley blade and near enough flat to the frame, gently scrape at the decal, find something old with a sticker and practice on that. Its a trick they use in spray shops.
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    I found warming the decals with a hair dryer helped soften the adhesive and they peeled away easier.
  • 47p2
    47p2 Posts: 329
    There are a few different ways decals are applied to frames and parts

1. Vinyl sticker applied after paint and top clear coat. Easy to remove with a hairdryer and a bit of TLC. Sadly there are very few frame suppliers who employ this technique

2. Transfer/sticker applied and clear coat lacquer applied over the top to ensure the transfer stays on. Extremely difficult to remove (almost impossible) without damaging the base coat underneath.

3. Paint printed. Depending on the base layer this can sometimes be removed with abrasive cutting compounds and/or paint thinners, but test on an unseen area first to make sure the base layer does not rub off

4. Paint printed and clear coated...forget it unless you want to repaint everything

Most likely the decals on your Langster will fall under No. 2 and will be clear coated, sadly this makes it impossible to remove them without damaging the paint underneath.
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    47p2 wrote:
    Most likely the decals on your Langster will fall under No. 2 and will be clear coated, sadly this makes it impossible to remove them without damaging the paint underneath.

This thread has got me thinking...

Presumably, you could simply re-spray the frame, painting over any pre-existing patterns.

I have a matte black aluminium frame, with white lettering (havent checked to see if they are decals, or painted on) and would like it be all one colour.

I imagine any mechanic that deals with repairing & respraying car bodywork could do it?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    You'll get some ugly lumps or even readable lettering under the paint if you do that. If you are going to bother to pay someone to paint it, you might as well get the job done properly and get them to strip the old paint off first. Think about the weight saving! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......