mavic crossride wheels

cyclosteve
cyclosteve Posts: 150
edited August 2014 in MTB buying advice
hi all I need advice I want to change the wheels on my new boardman 650 comp 2014 mtb but wheels come in two sizes and I don't understand as on my road bikes they are all the same on the site where I want to buy from it says two sizes
•27.5” (650b), 15mm/12mm - 1925 g pair, 905 g front / 1020 g rear 15 mm front hub and 12 mm rear
how do I tell which wheel I need

Comments

• mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Is this your bike?

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/m ... -2014#tab2

It is standard QR front and rear according to the site, so the 15mm front, 12mm read won't fit (not sure if Crossrides can run adapters to 9mm QR).

Why the Crossrides by the way?
  • My 26 inch Boardman wheels , mavic on formula hubs were not that bad, I waited a couple of years before changing to hope / crest . Just wondering why you want to change yours so quickly .
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    If anything cross rides are a downgrade, similar rims, slightly worse hubs and crazy spokes.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I have them in 26" flavour on my hardtail - primarily because they were inexpensive and look pretty good for what I paid, dont weigh a tonne and seem to have worn pretty well from my point of view. Silly spokes are a pain if you break one - unless like me you break enough to make replacing the wheel a viable alternative and "hey presto" have a whole bunch of spares, plus a hub from taking apart the dead wheel!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • cyclosteve
    cyclosteve Posts: 150
    I had a set of these wheels a fee years back they were fantastic but if you all recon the wheels that are on are ok will save me cash
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    They are far from fantastic, but they aren't bad, just you are paying for the name and the straight pull spokes make life a pain. That said I bought a bike with a busted rear Mavic wheel and sold the spokes on eBay for no less than the wheel would have sold for complete!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.