Voodoo Bantu Shorter seat post? advice please

TowerRider
TowerRider Posts: 430
edited August 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi, I am looking for an entry level MTB. It is for a female of height 160cm. I am looking at the 16" Bantu as I reckon I can get it for under £300 which seems a great price compared to the Vulcan at a bit more. Sat on the bike without saddle and the reach and peddles appeared to be fine BUT the saddle sticks up many inches and with it in place I couldn't fit on the bike - there is a stopper (bottle screw) which stops seat post going down. Could I just simply buy (don't want to cut tube as not purchased it) a shorter seat post and fit the existing saddle on? Would this idea work?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yes but I'd still make sure it fits before you buy. For reach as well as height.
    But as a matter of interest, could you not reach the pedals or the ground? A lot of people are used to riding with the saddle too low. You want your legs almost straight when extended.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • TowerRider
    TowerRider Posts: 430
    Couldn't stand on floor with saddle in place - my bum was inches clear (does that sound rude?) of the seatpost hole with the saddle out.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You don't need to reach the floor
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you can reach the floor whilst sat in the saddle, the saddle is too low, so test the bike with the saddle in the right place!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.