Side Effects of Commuting

13»

Comments

• Was cycling along Porty Prom an a really filthy day a couple of years back. It was one of those cold, wet days in winter where the headwind is so strong it was making the near-frozen raindrops cut into my face as I rode along. Dreadful weather, so nasty.

Looking out onto the beach, I thought to myself, "look at those idiots, walking their dogs in this weather!"

Then I realised...
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    rower63 wrote:
    jimmypippa wrote:
    Black ears?
    My ears seem to collect most of any given day's soot/traffic particles. Every few days I stick my finger in a not-too-inner fold in my ear, and it comes out black. Christ knows what my lungs must look like. Left ear much better collector than the right.

Ah, something I don't worry about.
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    connected to boffins ramblings... occasional butt hair pimples - but only on my left cheek.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,694
    connected to boffins ramblings... occasional butt hair pimples - but only on my left cheek.
    Why have you been rubbing your face against someone's butt hair?
  • fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    This side topic of mucky ears. Doesn't anyone worry about what's going into their lungs? Has anyone checked their lung function as a result of commuting through large cities?
  • MonkeyMonster
    fatsmoker wrote:
    This side topic of mucky ears. Doesn't anyone worry about what's going into their lungs? Has anyone checked their lung function as a result of commuting through large cities?

Too many variables for it to be statistically viable really without some rigorous and hardcore long term studies - and good luck with that. Those that run filter masks can see some stuff caught and there will be stuff they can't see that is too. Get a lab to test rj's filter after a month sand see what it's caught...
  • fatsmoker wrote:

nope f*ck it.
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    fatsmoker wrote:

nope f*ck it.

I too am burying my head in the sand about the effects of huffing diesel up CPP Hill every day... Still gotta be better than getting on the train.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    MrSweary wrote:
    I too am burying my head in the sand about the effects of huffing diesel up CPP Hill every day... Still gotta be better than getting on the train.
    Exactly. Hard to believe that getting the train would be the healthier option. Ditto wearing one of those breathing masks. Even if I forced myself to wear one, I'm quite sure I'd end up riding more slowly, and therefore getting less exercise...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • MonkeyMonster
    TGOTB wrote:
    I'm quite sure I'd end up riding more slowly, and therefore getting less exercise...

Why slower? Vo2 max lost on a commute due to it... I doubt would affect you *that* much. You could count it as a training mechanism for when you have full air access on the weekend :D
  • tgotb
    TGOTB wrote:
    I'm quite sure I'd end up riding more slowly, and therefore getting less exercise...

Why slower? Vo2 max lost on a commute due to it... I doubt would affect you *that* much. You could count it as a training mechanism for when you have full air access on the weekend :D

Because the resistance to breathing will be greater than zero, and therefore I'm not going to be breathing as effectively. And whilst it's probably true that I'd be performing some sort of resistance training for my lungs, the reduced oxygen uptake is likely to mean I'm performing less resistance training on my legs, which are what I really want to train. This is supported by the fact that the riders who can go faster than me are not the ones wearing masks. If there's one thing I've learned in the last couple of years, it's that riding slowly is not an effective way of training to ride fast.

In addition, my experience of wearing face masks for lab tests, in workshops etc, suggests it is very likely to be uncomfortable and sweaty, which will seriously inhibit my enjoyment of cycling; although the air I breathe might be technically cleaner, it's unlikely to feel fresher. I've never had any respiratory problems. Given that no-one seems to have properly quantified the health benefits of wearing a mask, all I see is a definite downside and totally unknown (quite possibly non-existent) upside.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091
    Sweaty? No more than the rest of me when cycling. Uncomfortable? Not if you've adjusted it properly. Obviously it has some resistive effect on your breathing, but I reckon it only takes a couple of weeks for my diaphragm to strengthen up, and then I barely notice it. If London's filthy* air doesn't irritate your respiratory system, then lucky you. I'd suffered from asthma as a child, but had been symptom free for ~20 years until I started cycling in London. I developed a niggling cough and was always clearing my throat (I hadn't really noticed, but it was annoying my wife). GPs check persistent coughs fairly thoroughly, but when the consultant prescribed a steroid inhaler (side effect: likely to cause thrush infection in throat) I thought I'd give a mask a try. Symptoms cleared up within 2-3 weeks; wife less irritated; also helps with hayfever.

Side effects: I can blow up balloons for childrens parties much quicker.

*It regularly exceeds maximum permitted levels for various pollutants.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • passing bus stops and seeing their miserable faces as i go past, even better when you give them a cheery hello :lol:
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    fatsmoker wrote:

nope f*ck it.

This.

I smoked for 20 years, i think i need worry about that more than a bit of diesel fume, but I also suggest avoiding the limehouse tunnel if you can...
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • tgotb
    passing bus stops and seeing their miserable faces as i go past, even better when you give them a cheery hello :lol:
    Better still when you high-five the person flagging down the bus behind you.

NB: Some age groups and demographics are more likely to see the funny side of this than others...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • TGOTB wrote:
    passing bus stops and seeing their miserable faces as i go past, even better when you give them a cheery hello :lol:

NB: Some age groups and demographics are more likely to see the funny side of this than others...

had that this morning, they were sticking their arms out for the bus behind me I mean seriously a bus drafting me :mrgreen:, so i asked for their tickets as i went past and not one of them smiled

• tgotb
    TGOTB wrote:

had that this morning, they were sticking their arms out for the bus behind me I mean seriously a bus drafting me :mrgreen:, so i asked for their tickets as i went past and not one of them smiled
    It's the older teenagers you want to go for, especially groups of teenage guys.

The other one is waving back at people who are hailing cabs; that occasionally gets a smile...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    TGOTB wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:

The other one is waving back at people who are hailing cabs; that occasionally gets a smile...

There's a few bus stops on my commute in, and when the person has waved to flag the bus behind me down, I've been known to say "I can't give you a lift! You need a bus for that!" and it has raised a smile.

Clearly us Northern folk are more friendly :)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I often smile and wave when people are taking photos of whatever landmark or site I'm passing.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    TGOTB wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:

There's a few bus stops on my commute in, and when the person has waved to flag the bus behind me down, I've been known to say "I can't give you a lift! You need a bus for that!" and it has raised a smile.

Clearly us Northern folk are more friendly :)

Surely the only thing you can say is:

image.png

this will probably result in me getting a slap on the wrist - sorry ugo.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    TGOTB wrote:

Heheh, I try to do that. Has been a bit of a background mission for the past 5 years, since I saw the high five new york city video.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • in relation the bus stop hello/hi fives, did a new one last night the peds that look up the road with their hands shielding their eyes so they can see, go past them doing the same and then salute them at the last minute it throws them off guard considerably :D