Can I change bars without re-cabling?

luv2ride
luv2ride Posts: 2,367
edited August 2014 in Workshop
Hi. Looking to replace some drops on my winter bike with my preferred FSA wing bars. Question is, can I do this without re-cabling everything? I presume the slack in the cables I introduce when taking the shifters off the original bars will simply get taken up again when put on the new pair? Running SRAM Apex which I think have front derailleurs sensitive to cable tension, and it runs sweet as a nut at the moment! :?
Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Removing the shifters won't introduce slack in the cables, so yes, you can change bars without re-cabling. Easy.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • luv2ride
    Excellent. That's my rainy day project then as the kids have just settled down to play Minecraft for the afternoon :)
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • drlodge
    I've got the same project to do...and my kids also play minecraft :-)

The most difficult bit I find is (a) getting the correct amount of tilt on the bars (b) positioning of the levers.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Only issue might be if planning to change to wider / deeper drop bars / longer stem - if going shallower, narrower or shorter - not a problem.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • drlodge
    Good point, its the length of the cable outers that will be the limiting factor.
    Find me on Strava
  • luv2ride
    They might be ever so slightly narrower. I'm going from some old Spesh shallow drops, to the FSA Wing Compact. Both are 42cm centre to centre, but have read that the Wing bars are slightly narrower at the tops/hoods (the ends flare out by 4 degrees. Should be ok?
  • drlodge
    Should be fine...its makes no difference what happens the bars below the shifters.
    Find me on Strava
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    I have just swapped my stem and bars recently. Job was pretty straight forward with changing shifters over.

One thing to check before finishing and taping up bars is to check the cables are in places that are not going to snag or catch other cables. If you are changing stem length or anything that will effect the distance from the point of entry to frame or frame clips move the bars about and check by shifting the steering to its extremes to make sure they run smooth and don't pull.

I have had a problem on an older bike where because the cable was on a longer stem the steering would pull on the brakes on the rear wheel. It was only slight but was still a concern.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    The lesson for every bike builder - cut the rear brake cable outer too short, turn the bars and wonder why the bike slows down?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Monty Dog wrote:
    The lesson for every bike builder - cut the rear brake cable outer too short, turn the bars and wonder why the bike slows down?

Was the original cable and at the time it didn't look that different in length. Was a few years ago and not made same mistake since.
  • Monty Dog wrote:

If you need to turn the bars that much then you'll be going too slowly already for it to make much difference! :D