Scott Seatpost Change

blackhat
blackhat Posts: 23
edited August 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Am looking at replacing my current alloy seatpost on my SCOTT SCALE 35 (2011) with a new Carbon seatpost but as I have read on previous forums there doesn't seem to be a lot of 34.9mm Carbon posts about. Moreover, going the shim route looks a bit risky.
Any ideas if there is more choice nowadays?
Is shimming my only option?
Thanks

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Shims work perfectly well, not aware of any 34.9 carbon posts but then never had to look, have you tried searching?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • blackhat
    Yes googled myself silly, lots of ooos and arrs and old gear but nothing new it seems. As for shims there's a 50/50 split on whether they may crack your frame. Plastic shims got a bad press whilst alloy may cause damage
    Did find Carbon shims as below so may have to go that way
    http://www.carboncycles.cc/?p=933&

Any recommendations on seatpost?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • blackhat
    Doh! How did I miss that, thanks, looks good and cheapish, also found a Syntace P6 carbon but very expensive,
  • lpretro1
    lpretro1 Posts: 237
    Synchros - Scott's own brand
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    blackhat wrote:
    Yes googled myself silly, lots of ooos and arrs and old gear but nothing new it seems. As for shims there's a 50/50 split on whether they may crack your frame. Plastic shims got a bad press whilst alloy may cause damage
    Did find Carbon shims as below so may have to go that way
    http://www.carboncycles.cc/?p=933&

Any recommendations on seatpost?
    LOL
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    I'd love to know how a shim is going to crack a frame that otherwise wouldn't crack!

I hire bikes to ride when I'm over seas (for £5 a day it's not worth taking my bike) and the bike shop is quite happy for me to use my own saddle and seatpost which is shimmed (as they are giants so a silly size).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Because a shim limits the effective insertion of the seatpost, so if you've got a short shim and a long seatpost you're potentially putting more stress on the frame than with no shim. Indeed unless your seatpost is shorter than the shim you're always putting more stresses on the frame.

Ritchey and New Ultimate do carbon 34.9 posts, not cheap. The Carbon Cycles one is a good bet.
  • The Rookie
    njee20 wrote:
    Because a shim limits the effective insertion of the seatpost, so if you've got a short shim and a long seatpost you're potentially putting more stress on the frame than with no shim. Indeed unless your seatpost is shorter than the shim you're always putting more stresses on the frame.

Ritchey and New Ultimate do carbon 34.9 posts, not cheap. The Carbon Cycles one is a good bet.
    Yes but as long as the shim is the Same as the min insertion the loads will never be worse than the worse case designed for.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Correct, but it will be worse than just using a seatpost with greater insertion. Plus some shims won't actually be long enough to cover the minimum insertion on all frames.

Seatposts have a minimum insertion amount, but they're less likely to snap if you've got twice as much inserted...
    Y you no dropper??????

Because it's a lightweight XC race frame...
  • blackhat
    cheers all think I got that sorted.....?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Y you no dropper??????

Do people still ride with non enduro specific seat posts :shock: