Scott Scale 920 v Giant XTC Composite 2 (+ Upgrades)

andygoddard
andygoddard Posts: 8
edited August 2014 in MTB buying advice
Im a roadie looking for a XC bike for some winter cross country races/duathlons and for general Swinley Forest fun. I have come across a couple of good deals on the following bikes:

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bik ... ifications
http://www.scott-sports.com/global/en/p ... -920-Bike/

Whilst the Scott is the higher spec and newer bike, in the case of the deals Im looking at it is £600 more and I also have an option on a brand new fullset (gears/brakes) of XTR that would approx cost me £250 ish to upgrade the Giant.

So any opinions on either bikes and is the frame/shocks on the Scott significantly better than the Giant?

Many Thanks

Andy

Comments

• Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    The scott has Fox forks which many on the net will say are inferior to the rock shox on the Giant.

However, the giant has an overdrive steerer - this is a wider steerer tube which is meant to provide extra stiffness but crucially means you are limited to certain options if you wish to upgrade forks or stem in the future. Personally I wouldn't buy a bike with the overdrive system but I guess it depends if you think you will want to change the stem or forks on the bike going forward.
  • Interesting.

Im not sure if I would change the forks or not really but limiting choice is never a good thing. I also assume this effect buying a new stem too?

I know the Scott has funny thing with seatpost diameter but I guess this can be fixed with a shim.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143

I know the Scott has funny thing with seatpost diameter but I guess this can be fixed with a shim.

It's a standard size seatpost.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Ferrals wrote:
    The scott has Fox forks which many on the net will say are inferior to the rock shox on the Giant.

However, the giant has an overdrive steerer - this is a wider steerer tube which is meant to provide extra stiffness but crucially means you are limited to certain options if you wish to upgrade forks or stem in the future. Personally I wouldn't buy a bike with the overdrive system but I guess it depends if you think you will want to change the stem or forks on the bike going forward.

It has an Overdrive headset which is standard 1.125-1.5 tapered not Overdrive 2 which is the odd size 1.25-1.5 tapered steerer.
  • mcnultycop wrote:

It's a standard size seatpost.

I read somewhere this was the case and then was suprised that I could easily get seatposts for it.

I have now tried the Scott out and was very impressed, was a little heavier than I was expecting, but then I only have my 15 year old MTB (which is very heavy), a TT bike and a 6kg road bike to compare it to.