What To Pack For London to Brighton Off Road Event

nickb23
nickb23 Posts: 2
edited September 2014 in MTB beginners
Hey guys.

I have signed up to do this years London to Brighton off road race, and I need some advice on what to actually take for the day.
I have never really done much long distance off road before. I have done 30 ish mile trips but never a whole day ride. I have also only just got back into riding, so I don't really have lots of new equipment.
What would you guys take with you in you backpack? What are the essentials? Also what kind of snacks etc too..

Training wise I am going out whenever I can. Just trying to get as much milage under me before the big day next month.

Thanks in advance...

Nick

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Tube, pump, multi tool, phone. Whatever you want to eat - don't try any sports stuff on the day if you've not used if before. I'd use gels for convenience, you may want 'real' food.
  • Personally I would take...
    Phone/wallet, medium-sized backpack with reservoir and a bottle on the frame, 3 spare inner tubes, mini pump, tyre levers, multi-tool, chain tool and spare connector, cable ties, a load of flapjacks (oaty goodness for slow-burn energy and honey/sugar for a quick hit), packable waterproof jacket.
    Plus some basic first-aid stuff - plasters and a mini pot of sudocrem in case anything gets chaffed.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • njee20
    Sod that.
  • I should add that i am 'the dad' of our group. i.e. the only bloody person that can bodge fix a broken chain or wheel, or has any knowledge of first aid.
    If we have any incidents while we are out, my mates stand around with a lost look on their faces.
    Probably the reason that I carry so much stuff.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • njee20
    Doesn't mean they can't carry multi tools and tubes. They'd learn bloody quickly how to fix things if they rode with me!
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    mini pot of sudocrem in case anything gets chaffed.
    Yew, no double dipping if that is a communal pot.
  • njee20
    Just get a decent chamois cream and apply before.