Tubeless setup

Antm81
Antm81 Posts: 1,406
edited August 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Probably been asked a thousand times but looking at setting up my giant s-xc 2 rims tubeless. I've heard they are tubeless ready and others have said they aren't.

Currently looking at a set of superstar valves and tape. Question is which sealant and how much will I need. The rims are also 650b.

If it helps I'll be fitting bontrager team issue xr4s at the same time.

Thanks

Comments

• Roughly 60 ml per wheel of Stans sealant. Have done same tyre on crest and mavic rims using stans kit , went on fine with a track pump.
  • lpretro1
    lpretro1 Posts: 237
    It helps a lot to seat tubeless tyres if you squirt some soapy water around the bead - get one of those little spray thingys from a garden centre and put a little bit of fairy liquid in with some water makes it easier to squirt on. When inflating I find it best to inflate it first without the sealant in until it goes bang - which will make you jump - this seats tyre well. Then deflate and open a little bit of the tyre up and pop sealant in and re-inflate
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    my XR4's went on to my UST rims no issue. having used superstar tape and valves I'd suggest trying gorrilla tape and DT swiss valves instead.
  • Antm81
    These ones?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/dt-s ... -prod81463

Say road with mtb option unavailable.

In terms of sealant, is joes up to the job and how much do you guys recommend per wheel?
  • poah
    yeah those are the valves I used for my bro in laws bike, no idea what the difference between road and MTB (maybe length) - its actually the road ones I've got.

only ever used stans sealant
  • Antm81
    Gorilla tape, valves and joes sealant on the way (bigger bottle for less money and I'm from Yorkshire so I'm tight).
  • Antm81
    Thanks for all the replies, tyres have been on the rims over night so looking at setting them up tubeless today. One last question though, the blue giant rim tape that's already in, should I remove it or put gorilla tape over the top?

Thanks
  • poah
    I put the gorrila tape in without the normal tape there.
  • Antm81
    Left the original rim tape in on the front (was before you posted), had to take it out of the rear (losing air from the spoke holes).

Both now inflated and seem to be staying that way, even held pressure without the sealant.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    It should hold the pressure without the sealant.

It won't, however, hold pressure without sealant if you get a puncture!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    It should hold the pressure without the sealant.

It won't, however, hold pressure without sealant if you get a puncture!

Not necessarily, that's the difference between UST and "tubeless ready", the former is an airtight carcass, the latter just has a reinforced bead to run tubeless, but no guarantees about the porosity (or not) of the carcass - some will be airtight, some won't.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Fair enough. Never had a Bontrager tyre with porous tyre walls (XR4 or Mud X/Team XR Mud) before, always been perfectly airtight, hence the comment.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • njee20
    Didn't deny it, just said it's not a guarantee, and if you did have a leaky one (I've had Mud-Xs with leaky sidewalls) it's not duff, that's how they're designed.
  • Antm81
    Yeah they're not UST, they are tubeless ready, not sure the rims are though. There's plenty of sealant in there too. The XR4s do state they have to be used with sealant.
  • njee20
    Tubeless ready is pretty irrelevant for rims, just about anything can be converted!