Help!

foot_loose
foot_loose Posts: 72
edited August 2014 in Workshop
I wish to replace the stem on my Cannondale with a shorter one. It should be simple I know. I removed the bars and have undone the top cap to remove the old stem, having loosened the bolts and it appears that whatever the top cap tightens onto has dropped down in the steerer tube. I am a bit one handed at moment (broken collar bone). Any ideas how I can recover the nut? Should it drop down if I turn bike upside down?

Thanks

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Usually, sometimes you have to fish them out with a spoke
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Very tricky one handed! You may need to recruit a glamorous assistant.

Also depends on what kind of nut / bung was in there to start with.

If it's an alloy steerer with a star nut in there, you might have to hammer it down out of the way and tap a new one in from the top.

If it's a carbon steerer with an expander type bung that's come apart in the steerer you should be able to shake the bits out, reassemble and reinstall it.

With the bike in a workstand and the stem removed, the fork should drop out. Keep an eye on the lower headset bearing as you tip the fork upside down and try to recover whatever has fallen down the steerer.
  • Thanks for the quick replies peeps. Much obliged. It dropped down really easily so hopefully if turned over will come out equally easily. As you say, I think I may need a hand from a friend!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Its probably the expander wedge, leaving the top parts in place. If you hoik-out the top piece, the bung should simply drop-out and you can reassemble.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Managed to sort this out today with a helping hand from my son. Ended up removing the forks and eventually managed to knock the wedge out before re-assembling. :D