DT Swiss Rims

Antm81
Antm81 Posts: 1,406
edited August 2014 in MTB buying advice
Anybody using them, particularly the E512?

Looking at a possible build from superstar using these.

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I've got some older ones, historically they've always been soft. Personally I'd be going Stan's or pacenti
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    My old EX500's were very soft. I wouldn't buy DT Swiss again.
    I also wouldn't buy Superstar hubs again after cracking four freehub bodies in 18 months although I have read that it only happens with the 142x12 axle fitted. I replaced mine with Hope, more expensive but they last forever.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I also wouldn't buy Superstar hubs again after cracking four freehub bodies in 18 months although I have read that it only happens with the 142x12 axle fitted.

I had the 135 QR axle fitted when mine cracked so clearly not.

I had some old X455 rims which were good, actually they're still going and they've been through several hubs. Nice budget rim but they haven't been available for a few years and they're way too narrow by today's standard. I probably wouldn't buy any of their current offerings though.
  • My old EX500's were very soft. I wouldn't buy DT Swiss again.
    I also wouldn't buy Superstar hubs again after cracking four freehub bodies in 18 months although I have read that it only happens with the 142x12 axle fitted. I replaced mine with Hope, more expensive but they last forever.

I've had the switch with 142x12 for going on 2 years now.. had no issues.

Nothing wrong with Superstar hubs.
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Ideally I'd like either arch or flows on hope hubs or the hope enduro wheelset but can't justify the cost having just bought the bike so was having a look. At superstars wheel clearance.

Looks like the dt swiss rims aren't up to much though, however I've nothing against the switch hubs (I ran them on my previous trance).

Think I may just convert the stock s-xc2 rims to tubeless and run them for a while,should also stop me getting shouted at for spending more money too.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774

I've had the switch with 142x12 for going on 2 years now.. had no issues.

Nothing wrong with Superstar hubs.

The standard email they send out for warranty claims suggest it's a pretty common problem. They do replace them very quickly under warranty and send a new axle with them. I would have stuck with them if there was nothing wrong with them rather than spending out on new wheels, the rims were fine but I just had enough of freehub bodies cracking behind the pawl recess, where it's less than a millimetre thick.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I wouldn't say hope last forever seen many cracked ones too!