Rigid Forks for old Kona Caldera (98)

daff
daff Posts: 81
edited August 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm looking to turn my lovely old Kona Caldera 1998 version into a bit of a hybrid to ride through the winter on the roads. I've decided that I don't think a road bike is for me, so want to go with something that I know and trust.
Question is, I've got some old (pretty much unused) Indy XC forks on it currently, but want to fit some rigid forks for riding on the road. Can anyone advise me what is best to fit?
I know that it is a 1 1/8 Ahead set, but all the Kona Project 2's that I see on ebay are threaded. Any ideas and I'm not looking to go really exotic with them (sorry, I meant I'm a cheap skate! :D )

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Depends what you want, lots of steel ahead's come up on eBay, project 2 's would obviously keep it all Kona, or for road use get something lighter, I use Mosso's on my commuter (Hybrid frame with MTB finishing kit) which will come in about 800-900g lighter than steel.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • daff
    daff Posts: 81
    Hi
    Thanks for that. Would I have geometry problems if I went with Mossa's. I think the Indy's are something like 80mm travel
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Mosso are suspension corrected, measure your A2C height and get the nearest set, it doesn't matter if you drop the front a small bit for on road as you don't need the same self centring, not too much though!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.