Surrey Tour Of the Hills (TOTH) Sunday 17th August

drlodge
drlodge Posts: 4,826
My cycling club (Charlotteville CC) is doing this ride on Sunday as our club run, 72 miles from Shere and hitting just about every hill there is - except Box Hill as the road is closed at the east end of Box Hill village.

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/14-356/ £8 for Audax UK members, an extra £2 if not.

So I guess the route will go around Box Hill thus: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/5637495

Start is at 9:50am, positively late! Anyone care to join us?
WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
Find me on Strava

Comments

• chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    Blimey that goes up and down a bit doesn't it :)
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • drlodge
    It sure does. I went out last night and did the hills that aren't on the route - up to Newlands from Guildford, then Staple Land and back up Newlands from Shere. I think some pacing will be required especially since they saved the best (Barhatch) till last!
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • chrisaonabike
    I see there's a cutoff of the 16th for online booking, can you turn up on the day, pay and ride?

I can't face another day in the rain like last Sunday, so I want to leave the decision as late as possible :)
  • drlodge
    Don't know if you can pay on the day or not...but you have until 10 hours before the start to make up your mind ;-)
    Find me on Strava
  • chrisaonabike
    drlodge wrote:
    Don't know if you can pay on the day or not...but you have until 10 hours before the start to make up your mind ;-)
    Fair enough.

It looks a lot more daunting than the RL100 :)
  • drlodge
    Yes, just completing this is a challenge, low gears are required! And its a damn site cheaper that RL100 too.
    Find me on Strava
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    drlodge wrote:
    It sure does. I went out last night and did the hills that aren't on the route - up to Newlands from Guildford, then Staple Land and back up Newlands from Shere. I think some pacing will be required especially since they saved the best (Barhatch) till last!

That's nasty! Forecast for Sunday isn't great. There's also the Legs of Steel in September if you miss this one...
  • drlodge
    If the forecast is bad I may take the winter bike, but I don't fancy doing that many hills on it.
    Find me on Strava
  • It's definitely a testing route (harder than legs of steel) but more so given the painfully poor quality of the roads ... But you easily can do it in compact 24 or 25; other than barhatch -- truly evil to make the last climb -- the steeper bits are relatively short. It looks like that ridewithgps route undershoots the total ascent. Over 7000 feet if I recall.
  • gavinbay
    gavinbay Posts: 144
    Great event, and have to say you do have to wonder why more don't do this rather than the "lemming" type sportive's that cost an arm and a leg.

And yes comparisons with Ride London do make this hard core :lol:

Great sarnies at the end, roads as ever full of gravel and clay all making it a little tenuous at times, but that's what's so good as it doesn't get cancelled by the "health & safety" brigade :roll:

Did think we'd get some heavy rain at one point but we could see the showers tracking West to East so carried on and in the end was pretty good.

http://www.strava.com/activities/181503547
  • drlodge
    My thoughts exactly. It was well organised, cheap and great food at the hall. The heavy rain kept of thank goodness, but one of my group did slam into a stationary car coming down from Radnor Road, only a broken shifter, the headlight of the car and his pride were damaged.

It was certainly a challenging ride with all those hills!
    Find me on Strava