Cannondale SuperSix Evo 54cm with 71cm saddle height?

londoncommuter
londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
edited August 2014 in Road buying advice
What are people's thoughts on the minimum saddle height for a 54cm Evo (same geometry as CAAD?) frame? I think the reach and stack should suit me, with the stem slammed, but with the horizontal top tube I'm worried it'll look a bit daft without much seatpost showing.

Is this just aesthetics though or am I missing something?

Many thanks for any help (or even pictures....).

Comments

• djhermer
    djhermer Posts: 328
    I have mine on eBay currently with pictures. I might get a rollocking from the mods if i put a link, but you should find it. Do a search on eBay - it's the grey & red one without wheels, listed this morning.... That is set up with a 698mm saddle height (from BB), stem slammed. There isn't a huge amount of post showing, but you'd have another 12mm on that.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    This?

$_57.JPG
  • djhermer
    mfin wrote:
    This?

$_57.JPG

Yup! Thanks.
  • Many thanks, that's really helpful. You thought it was a little too big for you though? Can you give any more detail?

Thanks again.
  • djhermer
    Many thanks, that's really helpful. You thought it was a little too big for you though? Can you give any more detail?

Thanks again.

Of course. It felt OK when I first got on it and I'd always been 54cm bikes previously. You can see from my saddle and stem set up that the TT length is OK - fine in fact. But i'm short of leg (5'8" with 29" inside leg), hence the small amount of seatpost. In addition to this I ride a 53cm Colnago and a 54 Parlee. The Colnago is bang on. The Parlee has same TT as Cannondale so good here, but also has a sloping TT which allows more seatpost - the 'Dale is fairly traditional (almost) horizontal. Once i got back on it last month after simply not riding it (too many bikes), it always felt just too big for me compared to the other bikes - bit like I was riding my dad's bike!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I think it's up to you.

I'm 5'6" with long legs / short torso. I need a 72cm saddle height, but a short reach, and don't like a large saddle to bar drop. So when I bought a CR1-SL frameset I chose the 54. There's not so much seatpost showing, but the front of the bike looks neat because I haven't had to muck about with spacers and flipped stems. It is an extremely comfy fit, and puts me in the same position as my 51cm Racelight Tk (which does involve spacers and a flipped stem)