Clicking noise and rubbing inside Steering tube!

SR7492
SR7492 Posts: 190
edited August 2014 in Workshop
Team BR!

Why is there a clicking noise inside my steering tube? Worse, when I move the handlebars left or right, I can feel something inside is causing it not to move freely, like it's grinding/rubbing with something inside tube (this is where there is also the click)

Any ideas? How do I fix it?

Thank you in advance!

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Unless you have something seriously wrong like a cracked steerer, I'd say that your headset is knackered.

What bike is it and how old?
  • SR7492
    Visually everything looks fine; it's been riding fine over the last few weeks/months.

Its CAAD10; had it from new since April 12!
  • tomhowells
    tomhowells Posts: 171
    I would agree with keef, it sounds like your bearings are gone in the headset (assuming it hasn't been serviced in between now & when you bought it). It's a 5 minute job to replace them if necessary (YouTube is your friend) & parts are cheap.

Good luck!
    Boardman 8.9 SLR - Summer
    Holdsworth La Quelda - Commuter
    Moda Intro - Winter
    Planet X Stealth - TT
  • SR7492
    It has been regularly serviced but don't know if the LBS have serviced the headset etc!

Are bearings all the same size? The headset I have is the CAAD10 1.1/8-1.1/4.

Best place for bearings?

Thanks
  • tomhowells
    tomhowells Posts: 171
    Is it a tapered steerer? If it is, the bottom & top bearings may be different sizes. If your LBS does your servicing for you, pop in and ask them for the headset bearings for your bike, then go & watch a tutorial if you are confident enough about doing it yourself.
    Boardman 8.9 SLR - Summer
    Holdsworth La Quelda - Commuter
    Moda Intro - Winter
    Planet X Stealth - TT
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    As above, but it's an easy job with a couple of Allen keys needed (probably 4mm and 5mm for stem bolts and top cap bolt.

Bearings here for example

http://qwertycycles.co.uk/collections/headsets
  • SR7492
    Thanks guys, that is awesome info! Really appreciate it! (saved the link as favourites :-))

I feel confident doing it myself (the GCN video is pretty much spot on) but on this occasion (due to time constraints) I might get my LBS to do it.

Thanks again all!