Cannondale Trail 5: The right bike?

Devyhead
Devyhead Posts: 16
edited August 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi all!
After a long time away from the trails, I've started to get back into mountain biking again :D I am looking at a Cannondale Trail 5 (2015 seeing as they're nearly here) as I always wanted a Cannondale years ago. After a bit of research it has dawned on me that alot has changed in the 10 years since I last looked at a magazine or anything involving mtbs. Is this bike really suitable for my 6'4" sizeable frame, or are there any better alternatives for a similar price? Any help is appreciated :)

Comments

• I had one for years just as my cycle to work scheme as a cheap knock about. Its a really tight bike and had fun on it and very responsive. I`m 6ft 2 and it was fine for me, I did upgrade the brakes and gears as the stock were quite crappy.
    But for £500 its a decent buy.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The specification of a £350 bike for circa £550, not the best way to spend your money I'm afraid, decent enough but why not pay less for the same bike or get a better bike for the same money?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Devyhead
    Devyhead Posts: 16
    The Rookie wrote:
    The specification of a £350 bike for circa £550, not the best way to spend your money I'm afraid, decent enough but why not pay less for the same bike or get a better bike for the same money?
    I had one for years just as my cycle to work scheme as a cheap knock about. Its a really tight bike and had fun on it and very responsive. I`m 6ft 2 and it was fine for me, I did upgrade the brakes and gears as the stock were quite crappy.
    But for £500 its a decent buy.

I'm getting mine through the cycle scheme too. The shop I'm getting one from also stocks Trek and Specialized, so would either of these be worth looking at for an alternative? Can't go too far above the budget of the Cannondale mind :(