£300 ish wheel set

tomwaterfall
tomwaterfall Posts: 26
edited August 2014 in Road buying advice
Sorry guys its another wheel set thread. Basically I've just bought myself a new cervelo R3 105 and in the coming months/at some point in the future I'll be looking to upgrade/change the fairly badly reviewed stock wheels that it comes with. I just wanted to get a good idea whats the best options for when I can eventually afford them.
Most of the threads i've read up on are fairly old and thus the wheels seem to have changed a lot from then, I think anyway.

So i was wondering whats the best value wheel set for up to and around £300? The bike won't be used for racing just leisurely rides and also I'm a fairly light rider (Around 70kgs) so being able to sustain heavy weight is not an issue!
Also from personal experience I'm not too sure whether I want to have white hubs again (as cleaning them was such a pain in the arse last time!) I've heard about campy zondas,fulcrum racing 3's,mavics,braccianos etc.
Thanks

Comments

• Best value would probably be some Archetype H Plus Son rims on 105 hubs
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • macleod113
    macleod113 Posts: 560
    Best value would probably be some Archetype H Plus Son rims on 105 hubs

I have some of these on order from Strada. Had a nice chat with Jonathan and we discussed my requirements and as a heavier rider got a higher spoke count but got them for under £300. A 5 weekbuild time though.
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    MacLeod113 wrote:
    A 5 weekbuild time though.

You'll be pleased to know it takes 2 hours... :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • MacLeod113 wrote:

I have some of these on order from Strada. Had a nice chat with Jonathan and we discussed my requirements and as a heavier rider got a higher spoke count but got them for under £300. A 5 weekbuild time though.

Other than your weight, what requirements did you discuss?
  • any more suggestions chaps?
  • macleod113
    MacLeod113 wrote:

We discussed type of use (lots of commuting), mileage, weather they will be used in, budget, colour scheme and most importantly to me was the weight

Ugo - can I tell them you said that so I can expect deliveryon Friday :D
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • ugo.santalucia
    MacLeod113 wrote:

No, but I don't understand how one can have a 5 weeks backlog on a job that takes 2 hours... even logistically it's hard to have it down so accurately (unless they are out of stock of Archetype, but that's not the case as they are in stock). But it seems the modern trend... you need to book an appointment months in advance for everything.
    For a weekend away you need to book the restaurants 4 weeks in advance these days... you need to know what you want to eat for your Christmas work lunch in September... in East Germany you had to wait 12 years to get a Trabant, I see we are heading in the same direction... :wink:
  • Slo Mo Jones
    Slo Mo Jones Posts: 272
    edited August 2014
    MacLeod113 wrote:
    MacLeod113 wrote:

We discussed type of use (lots of commuting), mileage, weather they will be used in, budget, colour scheme and most importantly to me was the weight

What alternatives did he / you consider?

Was your budget £300?
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826

This, or a set of Factory Zondas.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • macleod113
    Yes, i did mention my budget and these seemed appropriate. didn't consider any others
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • The reason I ask, Macleod, is because you often see people recommending handbuilts in reply to questions about factory wheels. One of the main benefits that's often trotted out is that they can be "tailored to your specific requirements" by an experienced wheel builder. Some also use the phrase "suit your riding style", without any explanation as to what this means. This always sounds to me a bit like guff, and a way of making simple things sound complicated.

Colour, budget, spoke count, ease of maintenance, I'm right with you.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Some also use the phrase "suit your riding style", without any explanation as to what this means. This always sounds to me a bit like guff, and a way of making simple things sound complicated.

It means some riders have specific requirements, they might like a very stiff rear wheel as they race and they put a lot of watts for short periods of time and want to optimise power transfer, others prefer a wheel which over a 600 Km audax gives a more forgiving ride... I suppose you can call it "riding style", although most people seem to be more worried bout colour, look and weight to be honest... :roll:
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    you need to know what you want to eat for your Christmas work lunch in September... :

I got back from a lunchtime run yesterday and was required to fill in my Christmas menu choices. Maybe it takes them that long to breed the turkey. Makes you feel all festive though, right?
    Cannelloni of Muscat Pumpkin - melting blue cheese, crispy sage, amaretti (v)
    Cocktail of Prawns and Oak Smoked Salmon - spicy Bloody Mary sauce
    Hot Vichyssoise - Creamy Leek and Potato Soup - baked cheese and garlic croutons

Traditional Roast Breast of Gloucestershire Turkey with pigs in blankets, homemade seasoning, fresh cranberry sauce.
    4 Hour Slow-cooked Blade of Beef with red wine, tawny port, shallots, garlic forest mushrooms.
    Baked Goats Cheese and Caramelised Onion Tarte Tatin (v).

Our Homemade Award-winning Thwaites Nutty Black Ale Christmas Pudding - brandy and orange cream sauce
    Le Tuxford and Tebbutt Blue Stilton Cheese - Peter's Yard crackers, quince jelly
    Chocolate Indulgence - decadent mousse, creme Anglaise, Kirsch marinated cherries
  • ugo.santalucia
    craker wrote:

I got back from a lunchtime run yesterday and was required to fill in my Christmas menu choices. Maybe it takes them that long to breed the turkey. Makes you feel all festive though, right?

I think at the Fat Duck they must have opened the bookings for September... 2015 that is...
    Or you can book to have a frame built for 2016... :?

My local lebanese take-away can do falafel in a wrap freshly fried on the spot in 5 minutes with no booking required... :wink:
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    Archetypes on Novatec hubs gets my vote.

http://wodenonline.myshopify.com/collec ... ubs-silver
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • ugo.santalucia
    DiscoBoy wrote:
    Archetypes on Novatec hubs gets my vote.

http://wodenonline.myshopify.com/collec ... ubs-silver

We really have to buy Malcolm a camera for Christmas... :wink:
  • Do the hplussons ride/feel much different to campy zondas? (if anyone has any experience)
  • ugo.santalucia
    Do the hplussons ride/feel much different to campy zondas? (if anyone has any experience)

Nothing is much different in modern bikes... they all have 99% the same stuff on... you need a full suspension mountain bike to experience something different... for something much different, you are probably looking at a Penny Farthing
  • maybe give the penny farthing a miss then ;) cheers ugo
  • Vslowpace
    Vslowpace Posts: 189
    Zondas at £250 are a very good value wheel.
  • where are they £250 mate? Wiggle?
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Hopes on open pro or alphas can be got for 323 I think
  • where are they £250 mate? Wiggle?

Ribble
  • bluemoon17
    bluemoon17 Posts: 718
    where are they £250 mate? Wiggle?

Ribble

No Shimano freehub?
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    I'd give 4thebike.de a look. German website but someone on here recommended I give them a look and managed to bag a pair of Mavic Cosmic Elite's for £190 in December - they retail here for about £350.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    What the H plus son rim does as any wider rim will do is give you a wider tyre profile which a slightly more comfortable ride and if you push into the corners hard enough better handling. You should feel that no matter the frame. However the effect is not so noticable on some tyres as they hardly spread when put on a wider rim (Veloflex corsa's). That is the problem that some people find when comparing wheels.

It really does depend on what you want though. Sounds like you are a Zonda or similar man to me.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • I'm very pleased with these
    http://www.cycledivision.co.uk/product- ... id133.html
    A little over your budget but a great choice for the lighter rider
    I want to climb hills so badly;
    and I climb hills so badly