Tough commute bike for 40miles a day

dombat
dombat Posts: 96
edited August 2014 in Commuting general
I commute 40 miles total trip every other day. It's 1/2 on tow path and 1/2 on road. I'm 100Kg so it's tough on the bike!

I hate dropped bar bikes. Mainly due to the transfer of every bump in the world into my hands which go numb quite easily. I tried a Genesis CDF with 700x35 tyres for a bit but flogged it (never used the drops anyway). I have a hybrid currently which is nice, but have the opportunity of getting a "bike to work "bike so why not got slightly crazy???

I'm thinking of getting a steel 29er (such as on-one Inbred) with Schwalbe Evo Moto slick tyres (2.35"), rigid steel fork, Brooks Flyer (basically a B17 with springs) and road orientated triple chainset. Not hugely bothered about weight since I need to lose 4stone! What do people think of this as a do anything mega-commute kind of bike?

Comments

• holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    Cotic Roadrat?
  • dombat wrote:
    I commute 40 miles total trip every other day. It's 1/2 on tow path and 1/2 on road. I'm 100Kg so it's tough on the bike!

I hate dropped bar bikes. Mainly due to the transfer of every bump in the world into my hands which go numb quite easily. I tried a Genesis CDF with 700x35 tyres for a bit but flogged it (never used the drops anyway). I have a hybrid currently which is nice, but have the opportunity of getting a "bike to work "bike so why not got slightly crazy???

I'm thinking of getting a steel 29er (such as on-one Inbred) with Schwalbe Evo Moto slick tyres (2.35"), rigid steel fork, Brooks Flyer (basically a B17 with springs) and road orientated triple chainset. Not hugely bothered about weight since I need to lose 4stone! What do people think of this as a do anything mega-commute kind of bike?

I hate drops, and love steel. I also love Conti's - I have (IIRC) 1.8 inch Top Contact II's on my (alu) 29er. Strongly recommend them.
  • dombat
    dombat Posts: 96
    Roadrat looks nice, but i either want suspension or fat tyres. Moto Evo are only 600g each even though they're 2.35inches!
  • Huge clearance on the rat - can also run 26inch wheels. Pretty sure you don't want suspension for a regular 40 mile commute...
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd look at the Inbred by onone - yes a MTB, but hugely versatile and can pretty much change it into what you want it to be.
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    Huge clearance on the rat - can also run 26inch wheels. Pretty sure you don't want suspension for a regular 40 mile commute...
    Yeah Cotic say it can take up to 46c!

http://www.cotic.co.uk/product/roadrat#frame
  • snig
    snig Posts: 428
    why do you want 2.35 tryes?

I'm as big as you, run 1.6 Conti sport contacts,very comfy and plenty of grip.
  • I do half your distance, have your weight, and do the half towpath/half road thing as well!!

I must admit, I went from a MTB, to a CX, and never looked back. As previous posters have said the wider tyres will have a large impact on speed, but will give you the additional comfort.

If you really don't like drops, and have to have front suspension, I'd look for a more Hybred bike, than a full on MTB.

Going from a road 35mm tyre to a MTB, with suspension etc, will add (in my experience) 25% onto your commute time, and that's a lot over 40miles a day!