2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3

felix.london
felix.london Posts: 4,067
edited August 2014 in MTB buying advice
...Good, bad or ugly?

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/2014.giant.trance.27.5.3/15002/66615/#specifications

It's for a mate. Geo looks good to me, fairly solid groupo on there, fork and shock?..a bit meh? But def looks like a good platform for future upgrades. 160mm Pike on there?

It's just a couple of used ones have come up for about £850. Look in good condition.

I know RmSC is always saying good things about Giants. I've ridden a Anthem 29er and was well impressed.

Anyone with any experience of this bike?

Cheers
"Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I nearly bought one but the fork is rubbish and has a odd steerer size which means it's impossible to sell when you replace it. Replacing the fork also means a new headset and stem so not cheap.
    I really like Meastro rear suspension, very efficient and feels bottomless even on the old 120mm Trance.
    I'm pretty sure it's the same frame as the Trance SX so a 160mm fork should be fine.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Hmm...right, the whole fork steerer, headset thing sounds like a ballache but saying that, he's pretty much a ride til it breaks type guy so guess he'll have to cross that bridge when he comes to it.

Alright cheers for the info
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Pretty certain the 3 uses a normal tapered steerer, just the 1 and 2 use overdrive 2. Is a good frame though, I'm loving mine.

I'm considering a pike but not anytime soon, I reckon 150mm would work well, like on the sx.
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    Antm81 wrote:
    Pretty certain the 3 uses a normal tapered steerer, just the 1 and 2 use overdrive 2. Is a good frame though, I'm loving mine.

It looks like a standard steerer to me. Can anyone confirm for definite?

Is a RS Sector Fork that bad on a bike that can now be had for approx £1,200 in the sales?
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    They dont even mention the overdrive 2 bs on the specs or features for any of the trance range - would have to go and look at one maybe. The 3 looks good - would rather have the Sektor over the Evo float on the next model up in any case.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    Its mentioned on the pdf overview of the 1 and the 2. But def not mentioned on the 3.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/_pdf/bike ... 27.5.2.pdf

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/_pdf/bike ... 27.5.3.pdf
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    The 2 is definitely overdrive2 (I'm looking at it right now) if you could put a 3 next to it you should be able to see the difference, however the 2015 bikes only seem to mention overdrive and not overdrive2.