Daddy of Them All

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited August 2014 in Commuting chat
The Volagi Liscio gets the credit it deserves:

http://road.cc/content/review/126219-vo ... ent-279162
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• That gets a good write up,

Did you write it....? :lol:
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    and there i was pondering my n+1
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,694
    Kind of reminds me of this....

derosa_profile.jpg
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Looks like it's been left out in the sun near the Walkie Talkie.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,970

derosa_profile.jpg
    That "kind of reminds me of" the time that I left some vinyl records out in the sun.
    Enough reason for me to stick to steel. As was the report in the OP.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • meanredspider
    Having covered some serious miles/hours on the Volagi, I simply wouldn't bother with steel. I think steel was just an "angle" for the review.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    4 out of 5 and no comparison to any other bike doesn't make the Liscio a Daddy of anything! :lol:

But it is pretty for a disc fitted bike. That De Rosa is, well, words can't describe how much went wrong there!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • pblakeney
    Having covered some serious miles/hours on the Volagi, I simply wouldn't bother with steel. I think steel was just an "angle" for the review.

"You can ride the Liscio for hours and while it still feels a little harsh compared to a titanium or steel frame it doesn't beat you up at all."

An angle? That sounds more than just an angle to me.

However, having never ridden a carbon bike I will argue no further.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • meanredspider
    Rolf F wrote:
    4 out of 5 and no comparison to any other bike doesn't make the Liscio a Daddy of anything! :lol:

It's the "Daddy" because (in the parent sense) it was ahead of the rest - the first disc-only road bike. Even now, many road bikes come with a disc option rather than being a ground-up disc only road bike. There's no doubt, too, that it was ahead of the trend. I'm not saying it's the best or maybe the very first (though it can't be far off - especially if you talk about something sold in numbers), but it's a great bike. I've not ridden anything I like more.
  • meanredspider
    PBlakeney wrote:

"You can ride the Liscio for hours and while it still feels a little harsh compared to a titanium or steel frame it doesn't beat you up at all."

An angle? That sounds more than just an angle to me.

However, having never ridden a carbon bike I will argue no further.

It came across as an angle to me. But I've ridden lots of steel bikes (no Ti yet - though Volagi also produce steel, Ti and Carbon - so they definitely pick the material they think is best for the job) and the Volagi is a great blend of stiffness where you need it and comfort too.
  • pblakeney
    I appreciate you making your point without turning it into an argument.

We all know how these things can go.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • meanredspider
    PBlakeney wrote:
    I appreciate you making your point without turning it into an argument.

We all know how these things can go.

Absolutely - not looking for an argument - least of all over the opinion of someone writing an article.
  • wandsworth
    wandsworth Posts: 354

derosa_profile.jpg

A bike designed by Salvador Dali.
    Shut up, knees!

Various Boardmans, a Focus, a Cannondale and an ancient Trek.