Big to big plus two... half links or links?

Manc33
Manc33 Posts: 2,157
edited August 2014 in Workshop
Putting a new chain on I know its "big to big plus two" but two what, half links (1 inch of chain) or full links (2 inches of chain).

It means two full links doesn't it?

I would just make it the same as my last chain but I put a cassette on with a bigger low sprocket. :roll:

"4 teeth added to the cassette" has to mean two full links more over the old chain, whichever other way you look at it?

It needs changing then to "big to big plus two INCHES"

I mean you'd think they'd be called "links" if they had some random size but we know they are half an inch, I mean an inch.

Comments

• Jon_1976
    Jon_1976 Posts: 690
    Usually works out as 1" of chain in excess.

Or do it the Shimano way. Feed the chain through the mechs and, whilst in big ring/samllest sprocket, sise the chain so the jockey wheels are in line and perpendicular to the ground. Usually works the same measurement.

Or use a chain length calaculator and count the links.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Do it small-small with minimal take-up/tension at the rear. That way you won't have to change the chain if you put in a bigger cassette :-)
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    drlodge wrote:
    Do it small-small with minimal take-up/tension at the rear. That way you won't have to change the chain if you put in a bigger cassette :-)

This, just short enough not to rub in small small
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Yep - that way the only problem you'll have is if you go beyond the capacity of the mech at the big-big end.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    Big-big plus an inch.
    This method has the merit of making certain that an incorrect gear change isn't going to break your bike.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    andrew_s wrote:
    Big-big plus an inch.
    This method has the merit of making certain that an incorrect gear change isn't going to break your bike.

Any method has this guarantee as long as you double check (as you should) both small-small and big-big after fitting the chain. I would never rely on a single method, always always double check.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava