8speed to 10speed campag upgrade ??

timmyturbo
timmyturbo Posts: 617
edited August 2014 in Workshop
Hi all , i have a lovely Wilier PATINI team bike ( the pirate Easton one ) . It came with campag ti record shifter and veloce front and rear mech , Mr velonutter is kindly arranging some Ti calipers for me , i have sourced a record chainset ( 10 speed ) . And now want to convert the 8sp Ti ergos to 10 speed . I found a link on the web to a US company that sells all the kit , and somebody has deleted my browsing history and i cant find it again .

Gary of Garysbikes in Bristol is going to be the ratchet doctor once i get all the stuff together .

any ideas please people , free hub change also i realize .

many thanks in advance . if anyone has any Ti front or rear mech or cassette , please PM me . cheers
Britannia waives the rules

Comments

• timmyturbo
    just found this link , after rebuild tips , i cant work out whether its saying only 9 speed can go to 10 speed but only 8speed . help please http://branfordbike.com/articles/ergo-levers-pg63.htm
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    AFAIK you can only go 8 to 9 on Mk1 Ergos - 10 speed was only produced in Mk2 bodies. You could also try asking Graham at Velotech Services?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • timmyturbo
    thanks Monty
  • mrdsgs
    mrdsgs Posts: 337
    probably new entire rear hub, not just free hub. 9-10-11 is easy but 8 speed hub shell is wider. This assumes campagnolo hubs, rather than another make with a campagnolo compatible free hub. Another vote for Graham and your ergos.
    Colnago Addict!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Definitely talk to Graham but - anyway, why convert to 10sp? 8 still allows a fair spread of gears.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    It will have to be a new hub or wheel as finding a campagnolo freehub to fit now is quite hard. The old shamal wheels and wheels that had record 8 speed hubs could be fitted with a veloce 9 speed body. That assumes you have a campagnolo hub in you wheel. There may be other combo's that work but freehub bodies are no longer made so you are relying on old stock items if you can identify the one you need.

I would replace your wheels it will be a lot simpler.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.