Touring Advice

charltonss
charltonss Posts: 7
edited August 2014 in Tour & expedition
Hi everyone,
I am really getting into road cycling and have decided to go on a solo tour in a few weeks to see how I get on. There are a few things I am concerned about that I wanted to get some advice on. I have got large rear panniers and a very lightweight tent on my carbon bike(not ideal I know but I am going to keep it lightweight and its the only bike i have).

Bicycle security - where to lock up and what with
Insurance - Is it worth it?
Kit I may have forgotten to pack - dont want to get out there and have forgotten anything
places to visit on the bike in wales - Well this is the whole point!

Thanks,
Scott

Comments

• MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    cooking or pub meals?
  • To limit weight you have to be a bit ruthless, and sensible. 4 pairs of cycling socks (light ones), no underwear, 2 cycling shorts, 2 cycling tops. Sunscreen (even for Wales), a wee toolbag under your saddle with multitool, puncture kit etc, sleeping bag, mat, camping stove and pot, chamois creme. Reading or writing material is sensible too. I'm on tour atm and am trying to think of all that I've packed. If Carbon you might consider a rucksack to take the weight of your bike.
  • taon24
    taon24 Posts: 185
    Take a waterproof whatever the weather
    lights for when you have that awful day and haven't quite made it to the campsite by dark.
    a solid lock, i'd go for lugging an extra 2kg up some mountains over waking to find my bike has gone walkies.
    Definitely chamois cream.
    I disagree regarding underwear, get off the bike put a pair of shorts and underwear on to keep the chamois a bit cleaner and to let your crotch recover from the nth day in the saddle. finding some way to wash and dry your spare shorts is best, but something antiseptic to put on the chamois to discourage bacteria to grow after using the shorts is a distant second, but far preferable to encouraging saddle sores with shorts used multiple times.
    Ideally use cycling shoes you can walk in (SPDs or similar, rather than road cleats), otherwise flip flops/canvas shoes that pack down small.
    Think about where you are going to get water, and how many bottles you will need at the start of each day. 2 x 750ml bottles will only last you half a day if it is very warm.
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    Just back from a week in Wales. I was in B & Bs but would still have taken the same clothes if camping.
    Helmet
    Cycle cap (good if it's cold or hot, not likely in Wales).
    Buff (lightweight and keeps you surprisingly warm).
    Lightweight rain jacket.
    One S/S jersey
    2 S/s running tops (act as undershirt and t-shirts)
    2 cycling bib shorts
    2 pair of socks
    mitts
    Arm and leg warmers
    SPD shoes
    Light fleece
    one pair boxer shorts
    one pair trousers with removable legs.
    Flip-flops
    String/pegs (if camping washing liquid, in B and Bs use shower gel.
    Toothbrush/paste
    Sudacreme
    Other stuff I would take on almost any bike rides
  • mmuk
    mmuk Posts: 398
    taon24 wrote:
    Take a waterproof whatever the weather
    lights for when you have that awful day and haven't quite made it to the campsite by dark.
    a solid lock, i'd go for lugging an extra 2kg up some mountains over waking to find my bike has gone walkies.
    Definitely chamois cream.
    I disagree regarding underwear, get off the bike put a pair of shorts and underwear on to keep the chamois a bit cleaner and to let your crotch recover from the nth day in the saddle. finding some way to wash and dry your spare shorts is best, but something antiseptic to put on the chamois to discourage bacteria to grow after using the shorts is a distant second, but far preferable to encouraging saddle sores with shorts used multiple times.
    Ideally use cycling shoes you can walk in (SPDs or similar, rather than road cleats), otherwise flip flops/canvas shoes that pack down small.
    Think about where you are going to get water, and how many bottles you will need at the start of each day. 2 x 750ml bottles will only last you half a day if it is very warm.

I usually find washing kit in the evening while showering works very well (as long as the climate is up to drying it ...)
  • borisface
    borisface Posts: 273
    whoof wrote:
    Just back from a week in Wales. I was in B & Bs but would still have taken the same clothes if camping.
    Helmet
    Cycle cap (good if it's cold or hot, not likely in Wales).
    Buff (lightweight and keeps you surprisingly warm).
    Lightweight rain jacket.
    One S/S jersey
    2 S/s running tops (act as undershirt and t-shirts)
    2 cycling bib shorts
    2 pair of socks
    mitts
    Arm and leg warmers
    SPD shoes
    Light fleece
    one pair boxer shorts
    one pair trousers with removable legs.
    Flip-flops
    String/pegs (if camping washing liquid, in B and Bs use shower gel.
    Toothbrush/paste
    Sudacreme
    Other stuff I would take on almost any bike rides

^^ Pretty much this. Although I'd take 2 x s/s jerseys and only 1 t-shirt and rather than a fleece I'd take an icebreaker as they pack up small and are light and warm. Depending on where I was going and the weather forecast I'd also think about leaving behind leg warmers and LS jersey. A good substitute is a lightweight gilet (I have an old montane one which is weatherproof and rolls up to the size of an apple) which can be worn with a SS top and arm warmers. Lighter is better by far. I really can't understand people who lug half their life around when touring.

I always wash my stuff when I've finished for the day and hope that they dry, if not then I have a spare set to put on and in the morning if the stuff I washed the night before isn't dry I bungee it to the back of my bike to dry.