Buying a bike, limited to evans

El_toppo
El_toppo Posts: 6
edited August 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hey Guys

Hopeing to get some advice on geting a bike for trails, im getting it through the cycle to work scheme so thats limiting me massivley. Im pretty much stuck to evans so that rules out anything in that great sub 500 buying thread.

Anything you guys can suggest would be great, any reveiws ive found of the sub 500 bikes on there site are not great....

http://www.evanscycles.com/categories/b ... tain-bikes

Thanks,

Alex

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If it's a cross country type MTB you are after, then this is a good choice (if it fits):

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/tre ... e-ec042073

This not too bad either:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/fuj ... e-ec069815

Both feature forks with a hydraulic damper.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Are you on Evans own scheme or cyclescheme?

The Scott Aspect 940 isn't too bad either, but the saving you make is wiped out by the fact the Carrera Vulcan is just as good for £100 less.

Edit: I didn't spot the trek linked to by SS, better bike than the other two and reasonable value for money.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • thanks for the replies guys

probaably be using this bike for some light downhill, any of these more suited towards that?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If you mean riding down hills they'll be fine. If you mean Downhill, no.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • oops sorry its cycle scheme

im bad at the lingo havent been ont he sceen in years, guess mostly singletrack stuff will be what its used for none of the insane dh stuff
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    They'll be fine.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    El_toppo wrote:
    oops sorry its cycle scheme

im bad at the lingo havent been ont he sceen in years, guess mostly singletrack stuff will be what its used for none of the insane dh stuff

So you're not tied to just evans then.
  • The Rookie
    Cyclescheme opens up lots more retailers than just Evans and critically Decathlon.......

Get an extra £50 for the rockrider 8.1 or whatever that have now called it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • that right,guess mostly singletrack stuff will be what its used for none of the insane dh stuff.thanks1mnQwaB
  • yeah i did intially want that decathalon bike but id have to travel around 80 miles to get it, location has tied me to evans, thanks for the replies guys
  • The Rookie
    I'd do the 160miles for that much better a bike......well worth it unless you have a petrol powered 4x4 doing 18mpg anyway!
  • dirkpitt74
    dirkpitt74 Posts: 518
    I'd make the trip and go to Decathlon for the RR 8.1.

Are there any other shops near you?
  • Unfortunatley not with online shops, ive been to a couple of them mostly just stock specilized et al very similar to evans, calibre two two looks great too but go outdoors is no where near either.

Seriosuly considering the decathalon route, 3 hour round trip might be worth it by the sounds of it
  • The Rookie
    It will be worth it, just check they have stock!