Garmin/Strava accuracy

surrey_commuter
surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
edited August 2014 in Commuting chat
Just been looking through approx 20 Ride london results and whilst distances are within 1% of each other the height variance is between 529 metres and 918 metres (both Garmin).

Was this caused by the weather or are height stats to be taken with a pinch of salt?

Comments

• rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    the expected GPS error in elevation is necessarily much higher than for ground-level positioning, enough to often make the elevation results worthless while the ground-level ones will still be fine.
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • leeefm
    leeefm Posts: 260
    You can change the polling frequency on the device, but it probably won't give you much more (and will probably drain the battery more quickly).
    Shand Skinnymalinky
    Argon 18 Radon
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Depends upon a lot of things:
    Barometric or GPS elevation
    If barometric, were there any weather fronts passing through
    If GPS, how was line of sight to horizon

I've found GPS elevation is good where line of sight to horizon is good (top of a high hill) but not great otherwise.

I don't think Strava has elevation correction.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

I've found GPS elevation is good where line of sight to horizon is good (top of a high hill) but not great otherwise.

Strava has a "elevation correction?" button under the total elevation figure for each ride/activity (on the full website).

I think it looks at everyone else who have rode similar segments and takes some sort of average.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    elbowloh wrote:

Strava has a "elevation correction?" button under the total elevation figure for each ride/activity (on the full website).

I think it looks at everyone else who have rode similar segments and takes some sort of average.

Ok - because there's a flat piece of road in Inverness that Strava has called Cat4 because of what I guess is iPhone data.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rower63
    elbowloh wrote:
    it's what they should do, they've got sufficient data for most segments, but I seem to recall reading that they don't. It's how satellites measure ocean surface level to within centimetres/millimetres from a grillion metres up - the power of averaging over many many readings.
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
  • bigmonka
    bigmonka Posts: 361
    I thought that Strava can pull the elevation data from other sources (Google maps data?) as I did a charity ride with a friend where we only had tracking on the horizontal GPS position but when we uploaded it to Strava it gave us elevation too.
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    Not all GPS units are identical. Differences in antenna for example will affect how easily the signal is picked up. Some people have cycled around using two devices, and found the differences.

I've found a dedicated GPS device like the old Garmin HCX outperforms a phone for example. Even between Garmin devices you'll find some that work under cover (trees, roofs etc) whilst others won't.
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    Strava's elevation data (via my android phone) has always been hopelessly inconsistent. On my dead flat commute, starting and finishing at river level, it shows an elevation gain of anything between 30m and 250m.

Am I alone in also thinking that the horizontal data is showing an increasingly wiggly, drunken and erratic route? It is not unusual these days to find that I have been riding down the middle of the river, or even recording a segment that I have not even ridden!
  • rower63
    Ian.B wrote:
    Am I alone in also thinking that the horizontal data is showing an increasingly wiggly, drunken and erratic route? It is not unusual these days to find that I have been riding down the middle of the river, or even recording a segment that I have not even ridden!
    I think that's your phone's issue, not Strava's - Strava just accepts whatever GPS-recorded data the unit uploads. I have noticed, though, that whenever I see a really wiggly route, or a spurious KOM, more often than not it seems to be from an Android phone. (Arsey, you reading this? :wink: )
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    rower63 wrote:
    Ian.B wrote:
    I think that's your phone's issue, not Strava's - Strava just accepts whatever GPS-recorded data the unit uploads. I have noticed, though, that whenever I see a really wiggly route, or a spurious KOM, more often than not it seems to be from an Android phone. (Arsey, you reading this? :wink: )

OK, that's interesting to know.

Do you know if a phone's GPS recording might deteriorate over time for any reason? I may be imagining it, but I have the definite impression my commutes are more wiggly than they used to be.
  • rower63
    Ian.B wrote:
    rower63 wrote:
    Ian.B wrote:
    Do you know if a phone's GPS recording might deteriorate over time for any reason? I may be imagining it, but I have the definite impression my commutes are more wiggly than they used to be.
    I don't know, I'll ask my electronics mate.
    But, I do know that the quality of a GPS-determined position depends hugely on how unobstructed its "view of the sky" is, and how much of the sky it can "see", as the more satellites in clear line of sight, the better-quality positioning. That's why trees, tall buildings etc will cause corrupted signals. Have you changed your phone-carrying habits lately? For example, do you now also take, say, a laptop and always put the phone under it in your rucksack (from the pov of the sky)? Or carry the phone in a chest pocket which will cause your body to obstruct satellite signals?
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I error corrected my 500 as it was doing a lot of stoopid auto pausing and it gave me 2401ft, which i believe was only about 20 out
  • It's the max speeds on Strava that always make me smile.

For RL, apparently my max speed was 59.5mph :lol:

In terms of my commute, it's generally fairly good at giving the same elevation each day...regardless of where it is (on me or in my pannier)
  • Mikey23 wrote:
    I error corrected my 500 as it was doing a lot of stoopid auto pausing and it gave me 2401ft, which i believe was only about 20 out

so the correct answer is 720 metres?