Wind... How safe?

IainGamer
IainGamer Posts: 12
edited August 2014 in Road beginners
Hi

Quite new to road biking and fancy going out but winds are 16-18mph.

Appreciate it is going to be hard but just how safe it is and if there is a limit for a beginner?

More concerned about sidewinds.

Cheers

Iain

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I love going out when it's windy; battle into a headwind for an hour then turn around for a wind-assisted 20 minute return leg, pretending I'm Brad.

You're right to be wary of crosswinds though; my wheels are only very slightly aero and the (few) spokes bladed, but the front of the bike can catch the wind and make it a bit interesting. Beware the sudden gaps in walls and hedges where you go from no crosswind to sideways gale in a split second; can catch you out if you don't anticipate it.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    keef66 wrote:
    You're right to be wary of crosswinds though; my wheels are only very slightly aero and the (few) spokes bladed, but the front of the bike can catch the wind and make it a bit interesting. Beware the sudden gaps in walls and hedges where you go from no crosswind to sideways gale in a split second; can catch you out if you don't anticipate it.
    ^^This, I am really light so get really battered by the winds but have ridden in winds up to 20 mph, good work for the legs. :)
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    As a roadie of just under two years standing, I'd say that sudden crosswinds are a little scary initially but as your bike handling improves, you get more and more confident in stronger and stronger winds - the ability to correct instantaneously develops quite naturally.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • As a roadie of just under two years standing, I'd say that sudden crosswinds are a little scary initially but as your bike handling improves, you get more and more confident in stronger and stronger winds - the ability to correct instantaneously develops quite naturally.

Yep - this.

Just go out and ride. Treat the ride as a "crosswind skills practice session" :D
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    Personally, strong winds are pretty much the only conditions I wont ride in (other than ice) - crosswinds just arent worth dying under the wheels of a bus for!
  • mr_evil
    mr_evil Posts: 234
    keef66 wrote:
    ...battle into a headwind for an hour then the wind turns around and it's another hour return leg...
    Fixed that for you.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Rode yesterday with 60mm tubs on didn't feel unsafe!

Training I'll go out up to maybe 35-40 MPH gusts any more than that and it's a case of I can't be arsed to ride in it more than for safety so hit the turbo. I don't ever really get affected by x-winds (even though I'm 68kg) as I just kind of deal with it. Just judge hedge gaps / openings and be prepared to adjust. If you feel unsafe at any point turn round and go home, there's always another day to ride.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Mr Evil wrote:
    keef66 wrote:
    ...battle into a headwind for an hour then the wind turns around and it's another hour return leg...
    Fixed that for you.

Don't even joke about it! Many's the time I've done a huge circular ride and felt the wind was against me the whole way round. And it's not beacuse I'm averaging 30mph either...

It's still safer heading out against the wind though. Imagine an hour riding away from home with a massive tailwind. I'd end up in Norwich and it would take me 5 hours to get home again
  • fwgx
    fwgx Posts: 114
    I'm not a fan of cross winds. Once I walked my bike over Cardiff Bay barrage because the crosswinds were so strong. Pushing the bike the back wheel was bouncing over the tarmac and I could barely stand up. That's just not safe or fun.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Cross winds can be very dangerous, as you get strong gusts hitting you each time you ride out from behind cover which can drag you into ditches or the middle of the road. Just be careful and see what you can safely ride in.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    As others have said your right to be concerned about cross winds, but if the wind is pretty constant and not blustery then get out and ride and your skill levels and confidence will increase then if you do get caught out in bad conditions you'll be better equipped to deal with the conditions.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.