Climbs near Lausanne

robgriffin247
robgriffin247 Posts: 22
edited August 2014 in Tour & expedition
I've got a few days in Lausanne next month for work - thinking of adding two days of holiday to play on the bike. Are there any climbs regarded as classics, famous, or some little known gems around Lausanne - within range of Lausanne, maybe maximum 60-80 km out so it could be ridden in a day with Lausanne as a base, ideally the closer to Lausanne the better!

Comments

• The Jaunpass is nearby (starts out of Boule)and is plenty tough and lovely. The Sustenpass is a bit beyond and is out of Interlaken. The train network is great, so I would recommend taking a day to go to Interlaken or Andermatt and doing the lovely climbs there.
  • Stunning climbs very local to Lausanne. Best suggestion is

Lausanne - Croy - Col du Mollendruz 1140m - Lac de Joux 1000m - Col du Marchairuz 1450m - then follow line of sight back to Lausanne. Check the wind direction on meteosuisse and adjust your loop accordingly.

Any ride into the Jura from Lausanne is going to be a real treat. You'll love it!
  • you can also ride up Monte Tendre which is in the Jura in between the two cols mentioned above - and features in Mountain Higher. Another beautiful (short) ride is a lunchtime favourite of mine out along the lake to Vevey, then up into the Lavaux vineyards towards Chexbres - from there you can climb even higher onto the plateau, or head down again towards Vevey and back along the lake to Lausanne. That's about 90 mins. There are also a number of great (steep) climbs above Vevey. If you have a day to play with a great loop is to take the train to Aigle, ride to Bex then up to Villars and above to the Col de la Croix. Then descend to Les Diablerets, up over the Col du Pillon to Gstaad, then turn left to Chateau D'oex, and left again over Col des Mosses and descend back to Aigle. That's around 110k with 3000m of climbing. Stunning route.