Kask vertigo vs mojito

mcowan77
mcowan77 Posts: 560
edited August 2014 in Road buying advice
Thoughts?

Vertigo is down to £100 .... Looking for something not 'mushroomy' For my big head!!

Cheers

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Try them on and see what you think because it all falls down to personal choice/preference. Plenty of people (me included) opt for the Mojito because it's lighter and a better fit than the Vertigo. It's also cheaper in price, but not in quality.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • simona75
    simona75 Posts: 336
    I've got a Mojito and its the least "mushroomy" helmet I've ever owned
  • mcowan77
    Cheers

Vertigo is currently cheaper that the mojito
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    simona75 wrote:
    I've got a Mojito and its the least "mushroomy" helmet I've ever owned

Pretty much this.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • StillGoing
    mcowan77 wrote:
    Cheers

And do you think there may be a reason for that? It's cheaper because it didn't sell as well as the other models and a new model to replace it is being introduced.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    philthy3 wrote:
    mcowan77 wrote:
    Cheers

And do you think there may be a reason for that? It's cheaper because it didn't sell as well as the other models and a new model to replace it is being introduced.

The Vertigo has always looked overpriced compared to the Mojito so was bound to lose sales once the Mojito came out. The Vertigo was priced close to the Giro Aeon which I think it is a reasonable match but the Mojito is just such excellent value for a helmet that light and that well engineered that the Vertigo can't compete. At full price, there was no real reason to buy a Vertigo rather than a Mojito.

I don't think any of this mitigates against £100 being an excellent price for the Vertigo though. As well as the Mojito, I have a K50 which they have been making for ages and that's a great helmet too.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • mcowan77
    With regards to fit do they have similar low profiles?
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    I am currently looking at retiring my Giro Ionos. The Mojito is the top contender at the moment.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • jotko
    jotko Posts: 457
    I have a Mojito, if it broke I would go straight out and buy another exactly the same.
  • ivanoile
    ivanoile Posts: 202
    Wouldn't buy Mojito without trying,on some heads it can have problems with sunglasses with long arms (etc. Oakleys)
  • rolf_f
    ivanoile wrote:
    Wouldn't buy Mojito without trying,on some heads it can have problems with sunglasses with long arms (etc. Oakleys)
    Why would you buy any helmet without trying it on? Not much point worrying about sunglasses if it doesn't fit your head in the first place..... :wink:
  • ivanoile
    It fits great,but just an advice to evade situtation like mine.Tried helmet,fitted great,came home none of my Rudy nor Oakley glasses can fit.Now I have to either buy new glasses or sell Mojito...
  • nawty
    nawty Posts: 225
    I tried both and ended up buying a K50 - it fitted better and looked less mushroomy.
    Cannondale CAAD 10 Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight Tiagra
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    jotko wrote:
    I have a Mojito, if it broke I would go straight out and buy another exactly the same.

Yep, same for me.
  • janwal
    janwal Posts: 489
    +1 for Mojito sunglasses problem.The large size of the adjuster at the back means that my glasses were never 100% comfy.I even shortened the arms on one pair.I bought a black ,nearly new Louis Garneau Edge (stocked by Evans,£65) from the forum on here.Almost exactly the same dimensions as the Mojito and none mushroomy but the rear adjuster is very minimal but strong.So now I have no glasses problems.Also found it has stopped me from getting headaches on long runs as glasses don't 'pull' into the side of my head at the back any more which must have been putting pressure on my head.I like it so much I've just bought a new white one for summer.They even come with a small clip in visor if you want to use it.It is very stable on the head,never moves at all once on.
  • StillGoing
    ivanoile wrote:
    It fits great,but just an advice to evade situtation like mine.Tried helmet,fitted great,came home none of my Rudy nor Oakley glasses can fit.Now I have to either buy new glasses or sell Mojito...

Maybe the fault is Oakley's and not Kask's? My Rudy Project glasses have arms that can be shaped to fit under any helmet line.

If I was looking for a replacement helmet, I'd go out and buy another Mojito without hesitation. Unless the Kask Infinity was on special offer and I could get it by the wife.
  • ivanoile
    If Oakley sunglasses can fit under Bell or Giro or LG helmet,than it's Kask's fault.Under that they could write some warning,but then a lot of people would be pushed back from that helmet.
    Also Sky is using different version of Mojito which can probably mean that they also couldn't fit Oakleys(and lighter version).
  • rolf_f
    ivanoile wrote:
    If Oakley sunglasses can fit under Bell or Giro or LG helmet,than it's Kask's fault.Under that they could write some warning,but then a lot of people would be pushed back from that helmet.
    Also Sky is using different version of Mojito which can probably mean that they also couldn't fit Oakleys(and lighter version).

Getting a bit carried away with this perhaps? :wink:
    W A R N I N G - helmet unsuitable for use with Oakleys. May cause severe injury, death or disability to unborn infants

PS what does your second sentence mean?!!
    PPS My Endura sunglasses work fine with the Mojito.
  • ivanoile
    Warning in the meaning that sunglasses with longer arms can get in the way with our Up'n down system and for that can cause falling off or unsecured position on head,but then again who would bought helmet with this kind of warning,right?
  • StillGoing
    ivanoile wrote:

Are you serious? Chop the frigging ends off your over priced Oakleys that should have a sticker saying they're no good with any helmet that is designed to protect the base of the skull in an impact. :roll: There are riders out there wearing Oakleys with Mojitos (my ride buddy included) who have no problem whatsoever.
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    HTF is it Oakley's "fault" that on some people their glasses don't fit well with a Kask, or Kask's "fault" that they don't fit with some Oakleys?

There is no standard defining how they fit. They make their products independently, and make a variety, it is up to the buyer to check they fit well together if you want to wear them together.

Or are some of you seriously suggesting that a helmet manufacturer should test their helmets on a variety of heads and produce a compatibility chart that describes head shape, ear position and which combinations are not so good?

P.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • Sanjay
    Sanjay Posts: 108
    I just got a discounted Vertigo from Wiggle to replace my Giro Atmos. For what it's worth, my Oakley Path Radarlocks fit just fine, no different to my previous helmet. It seems very well made and its a great fit; much more 'secure' feeling than my Giro.
  • StillGoing
    cattytown wrote:
    HTF is it Oakley's "fault" that on some people their glasses don't fit well with a Kask, or Kask's "fault" that they don't fit with some Oakleys?

There is no standard defining how they fit. They make their products independently, and make a variety, it is up to the buyer to check they fit well together if you want to wear them together.

Or are some of you seriously suggesting that a helmet manufacturer should test their helmets on a variety of heads and produce a compatibility chart that describes head shape, ear position and which combinations are not so good?

P.

I'm taking the wee wee out of the fool that suggests Kask should have a warning label if you hadn't gathered.
  • ivanoile
    @philthy3 calm down,just gave advice not to end up like me...

Poor people around you with over priced Oakleys :(
  • mcowan77
    Vertigo arrived.. Great helmet and not mushroomy!!
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    mcowan77 wrote:
    Vertigo arrived.. Great helmet and not mushroomy!!

Sure you'll enjoy it, I've had mine for a couple of weeks and really glad I purchased
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    What is the Kask winter cap like?

I love the one that came with my Giro and am wondering what the Kask one is like for comfort. Is the Kask one included??
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro