105 5800 upgrade...

thefd
thefd Posts: 1,021
edited August 2014 in Workshop
Hi all,

I currently run 105 (5700) on my bike, if I wanted to upgrade to the 5800 - would I only need to change the STI levers and the rear derailleur? Or would I need new brakes, BB, front derailleur and chain set?

Presumably the only difference is the levers are 11 speed and so the rear derailleur needs to match but everything else is compatible?

Can any one with the expertise advise please.
2017 - Caadx
2016 - Cervelo R3
2013 - R872
2010 - Spesh Tarmac

Comments

• DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    Chain, cassette, rear deraileur, shifters for definite. Possibly rear wheel if your freehub won't take an 11 speed cassette.

I'm not sure about front dérailleur.

Brakes and chainset are fine.

But by the time you've bought the shifters and dérailleurs, why not just get the gull groupset for £300?
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    The front derailleur is a completely different design too, you might be able to use your old one but for the sake of £20 I'd swap it.
    You don't upgrade for 11 speed, you upgrade because the shift quality is head and shoulders above 10sp, if you don't swap the FD you'll lose part of that quality.
  • By the time you've bought all the bits separately it will come to more than just buying the full groupset in a package deal.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    £300 for the groupset at Ribble.

If your rear wheel is already 11 speed compatible then the bare minimum you'd need is shifters, chain and cassette, but as pointed out above you'd gain the greatest benefit by replacing the lot.

You can always offload the 5700 kit on Ebay to recoup some of the cost.
  • Another question would be; should I happen upon some 11 speed wheels. Is it worth swapping 10 speed Ultegra for 11 speed 105?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'd say 10 speed Ultegra to 11 speed 105 would be a questionable upgrade. OK, you'd get an extra sprocket, but the shifting performance wouldn't be the leap forwards that you'd get with the jump from 5700 to 5800.

I'm giving serious consideration to replacing my 5600 groupset with 5800; it's just the fact that I'd also need a new rear wheel that's stopping me at the moment.

Mind you, I did lose a rear spoke a few weeks ago. I need to convince myself it's a sign that the wheel's nearing the end of it's useful life...
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Without trying to hijack...

I read something recently that said Mavic 10spd freehubs would fit 11 speed - can anyone confirm this? Have a set of Cosmic Elite's and have been considering a groupset upgrade for sometime.
  • thefd
    Dinyull wrote:
    Without trying to hijack...

I read something recently that said Mavic 10spd freehubs would fit 11 speed - can anyone confirm this? Have a set of Cosmic Elite's and have been considering a groupset upgrade for sometime.
    I think they would. Doesn't it depend if there is a spacer fitted behind the cassette. I have Krysium Elite's and I know they are 11 speed compatible with a spacer used for 10 speed.
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • thefd
    keef66 wrote:
    £300 for the groupset at Ribble.
    This is exactly what has started this off in my head. I have 2 bikes one with 105 5600 and the other with 105 5700, and I think I will buy 5800 and swap it onto my bike with 5700 and put the 5700 onto my bike with 5600...
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Thanks for that, saw an article from Lennard Zinn confirming too.

I've just pulled the trigger, now to explain to the other half haha...