Superstar Pave 28 wheels

dusk
dusk Posts: 583
edited October 2014 in Road buying advice
Boring, much covered topic but rather than asking what I should get I'm asking if there's any reason I shouldn't get!?

Basically I need new wheels for my Canyon and don't really want to spend more than £250 max, the Pave 28's are light, well priced, 11spd compatible and I like the idea of the wider rim (from what I've read).

So is there any good reason not to buy them? btw they're replacing Mavic Aksiums
YT Wicked 160 ltd
Cotic BFe
DMR Trailstar
Canyon Roadlite

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I like wider rims too but there is more to a wheel than the rim. Is the hub going to provide the bearing life that you require? Some hubs do and some don't. You can normally tell by the design of the hub. Ask for the bearing size, generally the smaller the axle and the larger the over diameter of the bearing the longer it will last also the more it weighs.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    It shouldn't be too much of an issue, I do do massive mileage and don't ride in bad weather, I'm not particularly heavy either. I would assume the bearings could be replaced with premium versions if necessary??
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    I'd be interested in hearing if you are able to prize any further information from Superstar on the wheels. They seem like they might be a good alternative to factory wheelsets at a similar price.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Superstar do (or did do) an ultralight, very cheap wheelset using relatively non durable (ie don't get them wet) components. They charged £200 for these. Cycleclinic (of these forums) makes something similar but for more like £300 irrc (though, IMO a better build using 24-28 rather than the 20-24 Superstar used). I was interested in the wheels but decided they were too silly to be worth buying. So I bought the parts and built them myself to learn how to. Interestingly, the bill for the parts was £200.

So Superstar seem to be charging the price of the components for the finished build. Seems too cheap to me. My instinct is that it might be better to go either for handbuilts or factory rather than somewhere in between!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Has anyone got any feedback on these yet? They've gone up by £30 or something similar since getting 11 speed hubs. Has anything else changed in terms of bearing sizes, rim durability etc? Still looks like a very cheap way of trying out wider wheels but not if they last six months....
  • matt-h
    matt-h Posts: 847
    i know 2 people that rate them very well for MTB wheels.

Matt
  • Hi guys, I have a set of these going onto my Kinesis build. Arrived last week (back rims with silver hubs as black were out of stock) and I'm well impressed. Look awesome, delivery was brilliant, hubs feel smooth as butter and look great quality. Only minor gripe was that according to my scales they weigh a little more than stated, about 1615g as opposed to the listed 1530 or so. Not complaining though, can't wait to give them a ride!
    Current bike: 2014 Kinesis Racelight T2 - built by my good self!
  • Only minor gripe was that according to my scales they weigh a little more than stated, about 1615g as opposed to the listed 1530 or so. Not complaining though, can't wait to give them a ride!

That is a lot more than stated and you have to compare what you could get over 1600 grams for the same money
    left the forum March 2023
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Did you weight the wheels with rim tape, you get the idea you need to weight them in the same way that superstar do and if they are still 85g over then that is poor and misleading. While the 85g won't slow you down it is an unfortaunte fact weight sells when it comes to wheels and leads people to make choices they would not normally make, I am as guilty of that as anyone and I know better! Thats vanity for you. 1650g could get you an archtype build 24F/28R on novatec A171/F172 hubs with sapim laser spokes which one to go for......
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.