Viner Columbus Starship

src1
src1 Posts: 301
edited August 2014 in Your road bikes
I bought this around 2000 as my first race bike, raced it for a couple of seasons before I replaced it with a Look 585.
Since then it's been sitting in my garage unridden, so just recently I had an idea that I'd sell it on eBay. So I built it up with some original and some spare parts I had kicking about, put some new rims on it (old ones were definitely worn out), new bar tape, etc. The only problem is it that I'm trying to think of reasons to keep it. I'm planning to ride it tomorrow for the first time in 10 years and thinking I might keep it as a fair weather commuter.

viner.jpg

Viner Columbus Starship Aluminium mainframe with Columbus Black Magic forks and Columbus Muscle carbon rear chain and seatstays.
Full Dura-Ace 7700 groupset
Handbuilt wheels, Dura-Ace 7700 hubs with titanium freewheel on Open Pros.

Looking forward to trying it out tomorrow to see how it stacks up against the current steed. :D

Comments

• That does look nice.
    For some reason I quite like the bikes from the late 90's and the 00's. They work pretty much the same as contemporary bikes but they still have an air of the old school parts in them.
    The Dura Ace 7700 groupset is one of the best looking around, and the bb is probably the most advanced ever made and with servicing will run silky smooth almost indefinitely. They really don't make them like that anymore...

Very nice bike!
  • src1
    src1 Posts: 301
    Thanks iron-clover :)
    Looking at the photo, if I'm going to keep the bike I'm going to have to put different bottle cages on it.

Agree about DA7700, the hubs and the rear-mech are lovely. Also, it was before Shimano started using plastic in their groupsets.

fronthub.JPG

rearmech.JPG

Shame about the rub on the chainset
    chainset.jpg

_VKOpWsJDY6sIuLH2LoJco0fFtjllN6flI80roVIw74=w657-h985-no
  • matt_n-2
    matt_n-2 Posts: 581
    8)

Agree the red cages need to go.
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
    Italian steel winter hack
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    SRC1 wrote:
    Thanks iron-clover :)
    Looking at the photo, if I'm going to keep the bike I'm going to have to put different bottle cages on it.

Agree about DA7700, the hubs and the rear-mech are lovely. Also, it was before Shimano started using plastic in their groupsets.

Yes - the cages are very sucky!!

Easy to forget that once upon a time Shimano made good looking road groupsets.......
    Faster than a tent.......