whats wrong with my brakes???

tapscrew
tapscrew Posts: 56
edited August 2014 in Workshop
Can anyone explain whats wrong with my brakes? They don't really work properly anymore. The brake levers pull back to the handle bars with no slowing. But sometimes they come on really severely. They are cable disc brakes. I thought the cables needed adjusting so I loosened the hexnut holding the cable and pulled the cable throough a bit to tighten it before retightening the hexnut. Now they come on really severly, but if I feather the brakes suddenly there is no braking at all, but if I loosen off the brakes completely and then pull on again they come on severly again- I have never adjusted disc brakes before and I just cant figure it. Whats wrong with them? How can I fix it? Please help

Comments

• roux_guy
    roux_guy Posts: 88
    Whip the pads out and make sure there's plenty of meat left on them and that they're not worn right down. Also, buy a can of brake cleaner ( 2 or 3 quid from Screwfix) and make sure the discs are clean and contaminant free.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    What model of brake?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • tapscrew
    tektro lyra cable disc
  • When did you last change your cable inners and outers?
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    I'd imagine your inner pads (the static ones that don't move) have worn down so that you have to push the outer ones (the ones that do move) further to bend the rotor into the static pads. Braking performance usually drops off the further the inner pads get from the rotor. There is usually and adjustment wheel or allen key hole on the back of the inside pads to advance them closer to the rotor.
  • tapscrew
    I have never changes the cable inners or outers, ive not had the bike that long, this is the first problem ive had with it, the only things ive done so far is pump the tires and clean and oil it!
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    Mechanical discs are going to need fairly regular adjustment to keep them working optimally, much like a rim brake. There must be some instructions or videos on the Internet for how to adjust/set up those particular brakes so I would do a search and follow some instructions first.

If after doing so the brakes are still bad then it could be the pads or cables.
  • tapscrew
    Thanks, ive searched everywhere for help with this, and I cant find thing matching the problem that I have! Iv cleaned the pads and adjusted the cables but still no joy (poo!) Im taking the bike to the repair shop tomorrow, I cant go on like this- I need to ride it!! Will let y'all know what happens......
  • tapscrew
    so I got my bike to the repair shop today, at last. The mechanic said he had never seen the problem before, but suspected faulty calipers. He has adjusted them and they work now but hes not sure if they were set up wrong to start with or if they are a faulty part from the factory!?!? See how they go!!! I just hope they don't fail when im going downhill, there are a few steep ones around here